PDA

View Full Version : Savage .308, good or bad buy?

overlordofwar
April 9, 2005, 02:31 AM
I recently purchased a Savage Arms model 10 GXP3 bran new, it came scoped and bore sighted and seemed to be a good rifle to start my personal collection with. so far I'm quite pleased with it, although I haven't gotten a chance to take it to the range yet. My two roommates think I made a good decision on buying it, but I thought it would be good to get a few more opinions and see if there any problems that I should look out for. I don't know of anyone that has a Savage with the new Accutrigger so I'm somewhat curious as to how easy it is to adjust. My dad has let me shoot his .270 Ruger M77 and it has lighter trigger pull than my Savage has right now. I know I can lighten my trigger pull but don't know if it's as easy as the instructions make it seem. Anything you might have would be helpful.

mtnboomer
April 9, 2005, 05:24 AM
You will NEVER go wrong with a Savage! I love mine, it is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot. Mine doesn't have the AccuTrigger but from what I've read lightening the trigger pull is as simple as turning a screw. Savage rifles are considered to be one of the most accurate out-of-the-box firearms made, partly due to the way the barrel is attached - some think it's ugly, but if it ain't broke...! Enjoy!!!! ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

Whiskey Tango
April 9, 2005, 09:10 AM
I love my Savage as well, its the 111FXP3 chambered in .270 Winchester, and came with the bore sighted scope like yours, it was my first rifle that I purchased for myself.

At 100 yards I can keep an inch to inch and a half group without a bipod. Mine doesn't have the AccuTrigger, but since yours does, I'd definitely lighten the trigger pull.

As for problems, I've yet to experience any, just properly lube and clean your weapon, inside and out, keep fingerprints off the barrel (they begin the rusting process), and you'll be fine.

Excellent rifle, you will be pleased once you have it properly sighted in, and a great BANG for the buck. :cool:

Te Anau
April 9, 2005, 11:28 AM
Anything made by Savage is a good buy.

tintcutter
April 9, 2005, 03:00 PM
I have a 12FV in .308 with the accu trigger.

You said something about the "lightness" of the trigger pull on your dad's ruger that concerns me, because it means you aren't getting the point of the accutrigger system.

You can get triggers to be even lighter than the accutrigger, but they become unsafe beyond a certain point. I want to say mine is about 2 something pounds on the lowest side, but it is not set that low.

So many people in here go for the one size fits all approach to guns, which I think can make for dangerous scenes like a hunter with a feather trigger hauling his/her gun throught the rough or knocking it about or dropping it. That is a lot different than my range guns which don't even get near briars, so there is only out of the case onto the bench and back into the case to worry about and even then it is unloaded if not pointed downrange.

I hope this clarifies what I think is a too often overlooked point between a working gun and a range toy.

I read somewhere that the only interesting guns are the accurate ones. You will enjoy finding out if you like it. I certainly have kept mine while selling others I did not find as interesting. Just play with the loads and keep records, you will quickly see the direction your gun is pointing when it comes to ammo selection.

overlordofwar
April 10, 2005, 01:04 AM
First of all, thanks for all your input. I always get more confident when people tell me I've done good.

tintcutter, just to put your worries at rest, my dad's ruger is the rifle he uses to hunt with. I didn't mean to say it was extremly light on the trigger pull, it just feels a bit lighter than the factory setting on my Savage. And I don't plan on setting my trigger lower than about three pounds if I go even that low.

Once again, Thanks for your input

Who Dey
April 12, 2005, 07:05 PM
Overlordofwar: I just bought a .308 Savage10gxp. I have'nt had a chance to shoot it yet,but,I'm going to solve that problem soon I hope. It's mushroom huntin time here,and sometimes those Groundhogs happen to get in the way of huntin mushrooms. Good luck with your Savage. Let us know how you like it. :D

Lawyer Daggit
April 12, 2005, 07:26 PM
A friend bought a Savage 110 some years ago, he had to have it crowned and bedded to turn it into a good shooter, but it is now a good gun.

Jseime
April 12, 2005, 10:12 PM
they make great guns at savage and youll be very happy with it.

9mmMike
April 13, 2005, 07:57 AM
When I was shopping for a .308 bolt, I looked long and hard at the Savage. I found a great deal on a Remington LTR and went that route instead but I really liked that accu-trigger. I did not like the synthetic stock on the savage and would have replaced it which would have put me up in the new 700 price-range.
Everything I've read about the Savage says, "accuracy accuracy accuracy".
Good luck,
Mike

Davis
April 13, 2005, 12:27 PM
I'd buy a new Savage even if it were above the 700 price range. They are equals at the very least of the 700. Now, the 700 is a fine rifle, but so is the Savage. And if you want nice and polished, you can get that in a Savage, too.

Davis

Gewehr98
April 13, 2005, 06:25 PM
Get rid of the Accutrigger, and it'll be a great gun. ;)

http://www.riflebasix.com/accutrigger.html

overlordofwar
April 13, 2005, 11:38 PM
9mm mike, my savage came with a wood stock, not synthetic. and i only paid about 460 for it bran new with the scope and all that. but i don't think you you did bad in getting a remington, especially since you got a good deal on it.

Gewehr98, why get rid of the accutrigger? have you had problems with one or know someone who has? if so please let me know.

Who Dey, don't worry, i haven't gotten a chance to shoot mine yet either. but i to plan to fix that soon. hope you enjoy, i know i will.

h8theun
April 14, 2005, 02:31 AM
I got to shoot one at the local range a couple months ago,the
trigger and 100 yard groups kicked ass!
:cool:

Superhornet
April 14, 2005, 10:18 AM
Savage 10FP--.308Win----lightening in a steel barrel..shoots so accurate that it scares me...168 grain SMK BTHP over a load of IMR4064.

FirstFreedom
April 14, 2005, 02:58 PM
Agree that you can't go wrong with Savage.

BUT. That doesn't mean you won't have troubles necessarily. If you do have troubles with accuracy, then 99.9% chance the cause of it is the pretty marginal scope and rings that come with that package deal. You may want to replace them from the get go with good glass & hardware. You may HAVE to replace them if they break or won't hold a zero. Good shootin!

DR_MAX
April 14, 2005, 05:38 PM
Certainly glad to see all the positive feelings on Savage rifles. I am waiting for delivery of a Savage 110, 270 Win. Looks like it has the potential to be a good gun. I'll let you know.

overlordofwar
April 14, 2005, 06:40 PM
FirstFreedom, i've heard that about the scope that comes with those kinds of package deals. i plan to replace the scope before to long. i mainly planned on using the scope to get started with the gun. and i will also replace the rings when i get a new scope if not before then.

shortround60
April 14, 2005, 08:14 PM
Gentlemen, bare with me as I ask a couple of relatively idiotic questions about this particular gun. I just moved back to NE South Carolina and will be looking for something to start hunting with. Is the .308 ctg sufficient for deer and hog here, or is there something better suited in the same price range of 500 or so? One of the local dealers suggested that I go with a Ruger pkg w/o scope for 538 instead, does that rifle perform better? Thanks in advance for your anticipated input.

GunsForFun
April 14, 2005, 08:38 PM
I am buying a Savage 12BVSS in .243 today - just waiting for my FFL to call.

I've spent the better part of the last two days researching on the Internet. I started out thinking I would get a Kimber 84M, Sako, Tikka T3, Rem 700. But I kept coming across accounts of these Savage's shooting anywhere from .4" to 1" MOA, depending on whether you handload. It has convinced me they are one of the most (if not the most) accurate rifle out-of-the-box.

Can't wait to get it in my hands! :)

yekimak
April 15, 2005, 03:12 AM
Can't go wrong with a savage for most people. Admittedly I like a mauser style action, I really like how light tikka's are, and well, I dig the feel of a winchester in my hands, but I own a savage. My main gripe is that I do not care for the safety and would prefer one that locks the firing pin. I do not care that it is not the prettiest gun out there, as looks can go downhill fast on a rough hunt.

And the money you save can go towards ammp to feed it, mine likes federal premium high energy safari's (.300 win), but is not too picky and will always out shoot me.

Dogjaw
April 17, 2005, 09:14 PM
Gentlemen, bare with me as I ask a couple of relatively idiotic questions about this particular gun. I just moved back to NE South Carolina and will be looking for something to start hunting with. Is the .308 ctg sufficient for deer and hog here, or is there something better suited in the same price range of 500 or so? One of the local dealers suggested that I go with a Ruger pkg w/o scope for 538 instead, does that rifle perform better? Thanks in advance for your anticipated input.
The Ruger is a good strong rifle. That said, pull the trigger on one before buying. The last few I've handled had terrible triggers. The Savage is an excellent buy and accurate. A .308 should do you well. The Savage model 11F has a short action and 22" barrel in .308. The 10FCM is short action with a 20" barrel and detatchable magazine. The 11F lists for $500, so you should be able to get one quite a bit cheaper than that. Walmart sells the 11GL (wood stock) for $395 on line. Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=170170&path=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A170080%3A170169%3A170170&dept=4125&sb=61&bti=3&sdir=xx&sortBySelectedIndex=0)

Dave R
April 17, 2005, 09:49 PM
Shortround--the .308 is plenty good for deer and hogs.

shortround60
April 23, 2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the Savage now, but I am also considering it in .270 WIN. The choices we make (haha). Maybe, I will get both, but I doubt if that will fly with the wife.

Al Thompson
April 24, 2005, 08:49 AM
Shortround, the .308 has one big advantage over the .270 - good clean surplus ammo. Head up to the next Charlotte gunshow and get a case, zero your rifle with it and get really good with your new rifle. :) Stay away from the Indian ammo.

Performance wise, getsome good hunting ammo (remember to rezero) and stack them hogs and deerup! :D