View Full Version : Help out a new guy?

March 23, 2005, 12:58 PM
Hi everybody!
Fist post on the forums, so go easy one me.
My grandfather gave me a Mossberg 500CT 20 gauge just recently and I want to add a new fore grip, buttstock with pistol grip, and a magazine extender. Basicly this shotgun is replacing my 9mm for home/target use and I want a tactical looking/functioning shotgun.
I see that everything I want is available if I had a 12 gauge.
Any suggestions for my 20ga?

Thanks in advance.

March 23, 2005, 04:09 PM
My advice would be not to add the pistol grip stock and magazine extension.
The only thing you really need to modify on a home defense shotgun is the barrel length.
I have modified several shotguns for my self and for friends of mine.
The ones who had a pistol grip installed always wanted the old stock put back on after they shot it a little.
The chance that you would need more than 5 shots in any conceivable home defense scenario are remote at best.

Just my two cents

The gun I keep for home defense is a Ted Williams 300 Auto with an 18" barrel
It only holds two rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber. But the gun is perfectly reliable and I can hit anything within the range of buckshot.

March 23, 2005, 11:28 PM
I think a pistol grip has its use in home defense. I chose a pistol grip because some of the corners and hallways in my home are narrow, and a full-length stock is tactically prohibitive. I finally settled on the Knoxx Copstock folder; best of both worlds.

March 24, 2005, 12:25 PM
All butt stocks that fit the Mossberg 500 series 12-gauge guns will fit your 20-gauge as the receivers are the same. This is not true for the forend and other components.

Good shooting

March 24, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hey thanks everyone, you have helped me alot. I am goin got keep the 20 the way it is and use it for the house howitzer, but I am going to look for a Mossberg 500 12ga to make the tactical SG just for fun.

March 24, 2005, 04:04 PM
Sounds like a good compromise.