View Full Version : Can an individual make a SBR?

Daren Thompson
September 7, 2000, 07:09 PM
I met a man today that was asking if legally an individual can make a short barreld rifle. He wants to make his own SBR AR-15 and needs to know if a Title II manufacturer must do it. Please give me the steps that must be taken and the form that must be used to make a SBR.



September 7, 2000, 08:27 PM
Sure an individual can manufacture a short-barreled weapon. Just fill out a form 1 and send it along with the fingerprints, LE signature and $200 tax to BATF. Three or four months later when the form is approved and returned to you it is then okay to proceed. Make sure you find out if there are any state or local laws that would prevent you from doing this. The AR15 is the easiest. All you have to do is buy an upper. You could have a gunsmith do it as it will not be a short barreled gun until you install it on the lower.

September 8, 2000, 08:03 AM
Though if you already have a lower in the house don't keep the SBR upper in the same dwelling until you get the tax stamp. This can be construed as having an SBR even though it is not physically connected. If you don't currently have a lower at home then you could safely keep the SBR upper there. Or you could keep the SBR upper at a friend's (one without an AR).

Daren Thompson
September 8, 2000, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info!