View Full Version : CVA rifles. Need some help!

makarov man
February 15, 2005, 08:56 PM
My dad would like to know if a flintlock lock from a CVA hawkin type rifle will fit a percussion CVA bobcat? He wants to know because he wants to be able to use the rifle for both deer seasons in pennsylvania. I don't know nothing about black powdered rifles.

makarov man

March 21, 2005, 11:49 AM
I have a friend who is interested in converting a CVA Kentucky from percussion to flint. I believe this is possible with parts from Dixie Gun Works. They even sell conversion kits for some of their "store brand" rifles. You probably could call or write them and they could tell you what is involved.

From what I've been able to tell, you will need to replace the bolster with a vent liner and of course replace the percussion lock. I think you're probably looking at around $140 for the parts.

Edit: For ~ $300 you could get a complete flintlock rifle, ready to go.

4V50 Gary
March 21, 2005, 09:53 PM
Even if you found a lock that fit, you would have to remove the drum and insert a vent hole into the barrel for it to work. He may be better off getting a flinter. Besides, once you've gone flint, it's hard to turn back (unless you go minie ball)

makarov man
March 22, 2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the replies! I did talk to my dad today and he told me that he just got an email back from CVA acouple of days ago and they said that you would need the flint-lock and primer hole bushing. The parts would cost $60.00 plus $10.00 shipping. Like I said before in PA you can use one type of black powered rifle in the early fall for hunting deer and turn around in the winter and use the other type. I think it's percussion first, then flint lock second. I'm not too sure about that. He can't afford another rifle, so he is trying to find a cheaper way to make things work.
Well I thought I would let you guys know what is going on.
Thanks Again!