View Full Version : What is class 3?

December 8, 2004, 03:32 PM
What is class 3 vs what is defined as a Assult Weapon per the '94 AW ban

Ive heard you need a special something-or-other to get a "class-3"

Just wondering. FAR from anything like that, but I hate not knowing things.

Speaking of which, whats that lil piece of skin between your gums and your upper lip?

Jim Watson
December 8, 2004, 04:20 PM
"Class 3" refers to a firearms dealer who has paid a special tax, called the "Special Occupational Tax" (SOT) to deal in machineguns and other National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons."

"The tiny cord between the center of the upper lip and the center of the
upper gum is called the labial frenulum."

You really gotta learn how to drive Google.

December 8, 2004, 04:28 PM
"Class 3" is really a misnomer - its become a common language designation for any weapon regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA). Weapons regulated under the NFA include machineguns, supressors (silencers), Short barreled rifles (having a barrel less than 16" or an overall length less than 26"), short barreled shotguns (having a barrel less than 18"), Destructive Devices (grenade launchers, explosive devices, weapons with a rifled bore of more than .50 with no sporting purpose), "Any Other Weapons" (a catch-all category including guns disguised as other items like cameras, flashlights, etc., handguns with a vertical grip, not designed to be fired with one hand).

The NFA is premised on the taxing authority of Congress, and as such the NFA and its implementing regulatins are found in the tax code. All transfers of NFA weapons are subject to a transfer tax (hence the relation to tax).

To buy an NFA weapon, it needs to be legal in your state, and there is a bit of federal paperwork involved; pictures, fingerprints, a "sign-off" by your local law enforcement, and of course the check for the transfer tax ($200 for each transfer, except for AOWs which are only $5).

December 8, 2004, 04:47 PM
Forgot to mention...

If you'd like to see some of the commonly used forms, go to www.titleii.com

The Form 1 is used to make a new NFA weapon (except MG's, which can only be made by a licensed 07/SOT manufacturer)

The Form 4 is used to transfer an existing NFA weapon to an individual.

The Form 5320.20 is used to transport an NFA weapon across state lines (not required for supressors, but recommended)

James K
December 8, 2004, 05:01 PM
Just to clarify a common misconception. You do NOT need a Federal "license" to buy or own an NFA weapon, although some states impose other restrictions or even ban possession altogether.

As far as federal law is concerned, you need only get approval from BATF and pay the transfer tax. Unfortunately, the form has a statement that must be signed by your local chief law enforcement officer to the effect that no local law prohibits you from owning the gun. This is deliberately misinterpreted by some CLEO's as "giving permission" to own the gun and they are political appointees and cowards who are afraid to sign anything. Without that, BATF will not approve the transfer.

So before even bothering to get the federal forms, find out if your state and locality will allow possession of the NFA weapon/item and if your CLEO will sign off. The best place to ask may be a local Class 3 dealer if there is one, or even at a local gun shop.


December 8, 2004, 05:49 PM
A machinegun is a firearm that fires more than a single bullet with each pull of the trigger. A semi-automatic firearm fires a single bullet with each pull of the trigger.

The '94 AW ban was firearms that were semi-automatic only, but had certain features the government decided were too dangerous for civilians to own. Under the law, you were allowed to have one "evil" feature on your firearm, but two or more "evil" features were prohibited.

The all important "evil" features consisted of a pistol grip, a folding stock, a threaded barrel, a flash suppressor, a grenade launcher plus a few additional restrictions for handguns. Any single "evil" feature is fine, but two is a no-no.

One analogy is cars. It is like defining a race car as a car with a turbo-charger and a rear spoiler. Race cars are designed to be driven on race courses by qualified professional drivers and are not safe to be driven on public roads by average citizens. So you can have a turbo-charger or a rear spoiler on your car, but not both.

December 8, 2004, 07:35 PM
Yes, but Google wouldnt give me this kind of quality person-to-person answer.

And its the UPPER labeal frenulum. Theres a lower one too ;)

December 9, 2004, 04:15 AM
So not to hijack or anything, but is that to say that there are Class III dealers but the weapons themselves are called something else?

Also, out of pure simple morbid curiosity, I want to know if it would be possible to convert my Romanian WASR-10 to select-fire, and if so, how hard would it be. I think I have the general drift of the paper work but acquiring the parts still confuses me. I was on a site that gave me the impression that most or all of the necessary parts can be acquired for under or around $100, but there is a $200 tax to pay as well, correct? Is this tax annual or one-time only? And what kind of reciever modifications would be necessary? I can't imagine such a conversion could be accomplished with merely a few "drop in" parts.

December 9, 2004, 07:21 AM
I want to know if it would be possible to convert my Romanian WASR-10 to select-fire, and if so, how hard would it be.
It would be impossible to do legally. The 1986 FOPA banned the registering of any machineguns after that date for use by civilians, even if the machinegun itself was made prior to 1986. If it isn't already registered, it cannot now be registered. That is why the low end machineguns like Uzis and Stens are going for $5,000-$7,000 and an M16 or MP5 will cost you $10,000-$15,000.

December 9, 2004, 12:34 PM
There are dealers, FFL Type 01, they pay a tax (special occupations tax Class III)
Dealers pay the Class III, mfg's FFL type 07, pay Class II.
(typically that's the way it works)

Types of firearms

Title I
Regular guns including the US defined "semi-automatic assault weapon"

Title II
Machine guns, suppressors, short barreled rifles and shotguns, and any other weapons. (Typically these are called NFA firears as their transfer and ownership fall under the NFA)

To own a title II firearm (NFA firearm), an individual pays a transfer tax, one time per transfer, and must meet the federal and any state requirements to get it. There's a bunch of paperwork involved and some waiting and normally a LOT of money if buying a transferable machine gun...but it's worth it.

As to how you can legally convert your semi to full, you can't unless you are a licensee (07/CII). anything else...go to jail.