View Full Version : Full auto and private citizens

December 6, 2004, 06:34 PM
What are the hoops I have to jump through to get a BAR or Thompson. I am interested in them for historical reasons as well as the fun at the range.

December 6, 2004, 06:51 PM
Here's the how: FAQ ON NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT WEAPONS (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt) .

And you are looking at around $15,000-$20,000 for the gun.

December 6, 2004, 06:57 PM
Plus some EXTREME scrutiny during your licensing process! It requires a class 3 Tax stamp, pictures, prints, background checks and ALOT OF COIN!!!

December 6, 2004, 07:01 PM
First and foremost you need a LOT of cash. Class 3 is a lot of fun, but it can be an extremely expensive hobby if you want the really nice toys.

A transferable BAR will run about $18,000 to $30,000 depending on condition, manufacturer, C&R status, etc. Even a bottom of the barrel West Hurley Thompson will start at about $12,000. If you want a C&R Colt, Savage, or Bridgeport be prepared to go at least the same range as a BAR. Some good deals can be had if you look, but they are few and far between and the time you waste looking for a better deal can end up costing you thousands of dollars as the general price level rises.

As for the process and the "hoops", you first have to live in a state that allows NFA weapons, specifically machineguns. Some states only allow C&R machineguns, others prohibit all MGs, most allow all types of MGs as long as they're properly registered on the NFRTR.

If you do in fact live in a C3 state, you need to check with your Cheif Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO = sheriff, chief of police, etc. with jurisdiction over the place of your residence) to see if he/she will give you aproval and a "sign-off" on the forms. If not, there are still ways around it, but it gets more difficult.

If you're buying from out of state, you'll have to go through a C3 dealer in your state. They will provide you with two copies of a BATF Form 4, two FBI fingerprint cars, and one US citizenship form. Complete the F4 (both copies) and have your CLEO sign off on both. You'll need to get a passport photo attached to each form, and have both fingerprint cards completed by a qualified agency. Complete the citizenship form. Make out a check for $200 for the transfer tax and send the whole mess to BATF at the address on the F4. Now just sit back and wait.

Wait some more.

Keep waiting.

About 3-4 months later, your dealer will get ONE copy of the F4 returned with a tax stamp affixed. At that point he can transfer the gun off to you. You CANNOT take possession of the weapon before you have the approved F4 in your hands. Put the F4 in a safe deposit box and guard it with your life. That piece of paper is the ONLY thing that definitively proves your possession of that machinegun is legal. Make numerous copies to keep with the weapon at all times.