View Full Version : Varminting in CA

December 4, 2004, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Just getting ready to purchase my first varmint rifle. I've decided on the model (Savage 12BVSS in .22-250) and am still up in the air regarding the scope selection.

Anyway, what do I need license-wise to shoot varmint in CA? Its pretty much going to be ground squirrels anywhere around here (central valley) and I want to do things the right way.


December 21, 2004, 03:26 PM
A standard hunting license is all you need for varmints in CA. Unfortunately it's not like a lot of other states where you don't need a license for non-game critters.

December 23, 2004, 01:33 AM
The Department of Fish and Game's web site tells you what they consider to be varmints. I don't have the link handy, but you have Google and capable fingers. ;-)

Personally, I have always sprung the extra $ on a good scope. I have a $250 Remington 700 .223 with a $1,300 Schmidt & Bender scope on it. Seriously. And I can HIT things with it, any range, and it's real easy to pick out a varmint that's like-colored to its surroundings.