PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new rifle

ds1300
November 11, 2004, 11:47 PM
I have read articles in the past about how to break in a new rifle or barrel, something about shooting 10 rounds then cleaning and shooting another 10 rounds and cleaning and so forth. Could someone tell me the proper way to do this to ensure optimal accuracy?

Jeffro250
November 11, 2004, 11:56 PM
Take out the the range, shoot, take home, clean...repeat for best results. Seriously though...ive had barrels that ive broken in using something similar to those methods and have not noticed any significant difference in accuracy. If your a championship benchrest shooter and wining or losing is determined by the thousanths of an inch, it might make a little bit of difference...but for 99.9% of the population, youll get by just fine with shooting it and regular cleanings.

ds1300
November 12, 2004, 12:05 AM
Thank you. That sound good enough for me. It will just be used for hunting mostly.

BusGunner007
November 12, 2004, 12:20 AM
:D That's the best, most succinct answer to that question I've ever seen.
Thank YOU!

Tamara
November 12, 2004, 12:40 AM
Y'all newer members may have heard of the late, great Gale McMillan.

He posted a few word here on the topic.

Opinions from a man who knew rifles. (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/search.php?searchid=202327) :)

JohnKSa
November 12, 2004, 12:52 AM
The link's not working for me...

Destructo6
November 12, 2004, 05:05 AM
Here's one of Gale's posts on the subject:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12582

There's more, if you want to try a search on his name.

keens
November 12, 2004, 07:15 AM
I second jefro250...done it both ways to the letter...no difference in accuracy noticed except a lot of money and time...I will say though that Hunters Copper Melt is the fastest easiest to use bore cleaner I have ever used, and I have tried them all...except the new gel type...might give that a try as well just for the fun of it. :)

Danindetroit
November 13, 2004, 01:15 AM
That was very interesting. I have a question. When shooting a new barrel and breaking it in. Say after ten slow deliberate rounds and the gun zeroed at 1" high at 100 yds. Over say 100 more rounds will the point of impact change because of a stress relieving effect on the barrel from heating and cooling, taking maching stresses out of the barrel, or is that already done at the factory?

I saw on his website that Mr. McMillan has a Tubb 200 rifle, is this the same Tubb who has a system of bore lapping bullets, am I correct in assuming this is a barrel wearing out system also?

I came away from this with some info please correct my mistakes.

1. With a new rifle use a gentle cleaner like hoppes #9 powder solvent or a good spray solvent to flush out any debris out of the barrel and action.

2. When I clean a gun I push/pull a cotton patch in the direction the bullet exits only, never the other direction using a guide to limit any contact with rifling of gun.

3. After shooting should I run some patches with a powder solvent through it, or just use rem oil on a patch and use a couple dry ones to wipe up the excess oil.

4. Use sweets when groups open up. Try to limit using brushes if possible, and then only brass/copper.

5. A stainless barrel, being harder than a regular blued steel barrel should resist wear better from brass/copper brushes and accidentally hitting the bore with a cleaning rod, a well as it's inheirent properties of corrosion resistance.

Tia for any help :)