PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding 30-06 ammo

kestrel1940
November 10, 2004, 05:34 PM
OK, I'm relatively new to shooting and I have a question. I think I know the answer, but I want to make sure. I currently have a Savage 30-06 bolt action and am looking to buy some bulk ammo for it so I can better hone my shooting skill. I found a website offering bulk 30-06 ammo at a reasonable price, but they say in the description something along the lines of "shoot your M1-Garand to your hearts content". Can I still use this 30-06 ammo in my Savage even though it is not a clip fed rifle? I'm thinking I can, am I right?

Also, anyone know of any other good reliable sources for bulk ammo other than midway, sportsman guide and cheaper than dirt?

Thanks

gifted
November 10, 2004, 06:12 PM
.30-06 is .30-06. The Garand, 1903(?), and several others, your Savage obviously included, shoot it.

Check to see if it's in the clips, or loose or whatever. It'll work most likely, but depending on how it's packed, you may end up with clips or stripper clips you won't be using.

jefnvk
November 10, 2004, 06:47 PM
http://www.ammoman.com
I can't give an opinion (they won't sell rifle ammo to 18-yr olds :barf: ), but I hear good things, and they seem to be pretty cheap.

Make sure you know if its corrosive or not, too. Nothing wrong with corrosive ammo, but be sure to clean it good with water before you clean it regularly.

Destructo6
November 10, 2004, 07:24 PM
Some of that 30-06 is going to be corrosive, so beware.

If I were you, I'd buy some relatively inexpensive commercial 30-06, like PMC.

scottys1
November 10, 2004, 11:46 PM
M-1 Garands have some requirements as far as powder burn rate and bullet weight for the gas system to operate properly without damage. None of it applies to bolt actions. You can shoot .30-06 ammo suitable for a Garand in your bolt action just fine.
The above warnings about corrosive ammo are good advice. All it means is corrosive ammo is loaded with a mercury based primer. When the ammo is fired, the mercury forms a compound much like salt and is distributed down the barrel. We all know salt is very good for forming rust if left to sit for any length of time. Just clean it good after shooting. Water is a good media for dissolving salt, followed by your usual cleaning/oiling methods.
If the ammo comes in Garand clips, just take it out of the clips and shoot it. Save the clips. There are a lot of Garand shooters who would be glad to have them.

JMurman
November 13, 2004, 02:19 PM
Here is what I have found with my bolt gun. I have a Rem 700bdl in 30.06

When I use cheap Federal ammo, I usually get crappy groupings...around 4" or so. this is definately what I do not want. When I switched to the Federal Premium 165 gr stbt my groups dropped to about 1 1/2".

If you get bulk 30.06 ammo it will be more than likely Korean fmj. This ammo was made for military rifles and if it is head stamped KA is corrosive. Now you can shoot this, as I do in my Garand, but you will need to IMMEDIATELY clean your bore and bolt face with an ammonia based cleaner. The KA or even the PS will use about 150 gr and might not be suitable for anything other than blasting in your Savage.

My advice, buy a few different types of ammo and see what your Savage likes, then stick with it.

Clemson
November 15, 2004, 01:45 PM
You can purchase Lake City ammunition (from the US small arms ammunition factory) from the CMP. This thread discusses results from a sporter rifle firing that ammunition:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=107329

Clemson