PDA

View Full Version : Marlin ? Camp 9-Camp 45 New production?

Sir William
November 7, 2004, 10:34 PM
OK. AWB dead. Any rumours as to Marlin bringing back their Camp rifles? I think a 9MM, 40 S&W and 45 ACP, folding stock and handgun compatible 30 round magazines could be marketable.

WillBrayjr
November 7, 2004, 10:45 PM
Marlin Camp-9 with the 16in barrel and underfolding stock would be an excellent idea!

DPris
November 7, 2004, 11:52 PM
I haven't heard anything.
They just didn't sell well enough to stay in the lineup, I don't think a higher cap mag would make that much difference.
Denis

esldude
November 8, 2004, 12:05 AM
Having owned both, I think the Ruger PC carbines a superior design. So don't pine away for a design not
likely to be brought back. There is something better available anyway. Only complaint is Ruger doesn't offer one in 45.

If you want one that folds up, the Keltec Sub2000 is another good functioning carbine.

Jbar4Ranch
November 8, 2004, 11:18 AM
It took me FOREVER to find a Camp .45! I was starting to think it was urban legend! The extremely forceful ejection is impressive... brass is kind of hard to find when it lands in the next county!

Anyway, I LIKE it!

9mmMike
November 8, 2004, 01:03 PM
Jbar4Ranch,

You might wish to upgrade the recoil spring on that gun. I put a Wolff in mine and it is much nicer and I think that the receiver is happier as well.

They are dirty guns and not easy to clean but I like 'em. There was a fellow in OH who would convert them to any mag you wanted and I almost sent mine out to swap it to Glock mags but I just never got around to it and I've no idea if this guy is still in business.

Mike

esldude
November 8, 2004, 11:11 PM
9mm Mike gives good advice about the spring. The 45 does indeed fire brass impressively.

The 45's especially were prone to crack the stock just behind the receiver. The Wolf spring will tame that tendency. I have been told with stock springs it isn't a matter of if, but when the stock will crack. I know mine cracked in a couple hundred rounds.

Jbar4Ranch
November 8, 2004, 11:19 PM
OK, Wolff lists two springs, a 16.5 lb (part #30405), and a 21 lb (part #30406). What do you suggest?

esldude
November 9, 2004, 12:00 AM
21 lbs is my suggestion.

9mmMike
November 9, 2004, 03:45 PM
I think that I also have the 21#er in mine. I will see if I can find the receipt....

Banned from GT? That's hard to do. :eek:

Mike

Jbar4Ranch
November 9, 2004, 04:07 PM
I allegedly spoke "poorly" of my ex-wife over there. I was warned. I allegedly did it again a year later. (Several times according to admin) She emailed Eric and threatened to "take legal action" against him over the posts. I was banned. Too bad really, there actually is a handful of knowledgeable people over there mixed in with the hundreds of fluffers.

If you can confirm a 21# in yours also, I reckon I'll hit the Web site and order one.

9mmMike
November 9, 2004, 06:23 PM
I remember your dilema over there. I only frequent the politcal, carry-issues and high-power forums so I don't see any other posts anymore.

According to my receipt, mine is the 16.5 #er, part no. 30405. It was 8.49 when I bought it in '00. Mine is a Camp-9 (9mm of course) though so maybe the stronger spring is better for you.

Maybe a spring-specific thread for the Marlin Camp guns is in order?

Good luck,

Mike

Ledbetter
November 9, 2004, 07:01 PM
Get the 21 lb spring for the Camp 45. Brownells has them. I got an extra stock for mine, while they're still available, in case it ever breaks. I also have an extra plastic trigger group housing. Choate or Ramline makes a folding stock--very sweet. :D

I mounted a Trijicon Reflex sight on mine; now its like a 10/22 on steroids. :p The best thing is that I have a whole bunch of 1911 mags.

Also, keep the nylon bolt buffer maintained. Cracked stocks are the result of never replacing the bolt buffer, IMHO. It needs replacing if it is cracked or deformed. I have a bunch extra of these as well.

There should be an ex-wife exception to some rules. ;)

VaughnT
November 9, 2004, 09:03 PM
I have the M45 model and thoroughly enjoy it. Has anyone done accuracy testing with this guy? Found a particular defensive hollowpoint that gets advantage from the longer barrel/burntime?

Right now, I stoke it with Speer GoldDot +P and find it perfectly servicable.

I bought both the 16.5# and 21# springs from Wolff and find that either one will reduce felt recoil and the wear on the receiver and stock.

One important note: call marlin and get them to send you a new hammer strut and hammer strut bridge. These parts are incredibly weak in design and will fail quickly. Just 100 rounds through mind and the HSB was bowed noticeably. Best to have parts on hand or a machine shop to make better.

Stocks? I looked at the Choate folder, but I wasn't too keen on the design. Anyone have pics of the ramline model? I'd love to get a folding stock, or a modifier so I can put an AR15 telestock on (or something like the M1 .30-cal Carbine telestocks).

Anyone thought to thread the muzzle for a compensator/flash suppressor? I would love to have that done if anyone out there is doing such a thing.

The saddest part is that this is a pretty neat little gun...but there are no aftermarket parts available to trick them out. I'm going to enjoy mine because it uses the same mags as my prefered pistol, but I'd dearly love to improve the mag release button and slide stop thingie.

Lastly, anyone found a barrel shroud that will work? I burn my fingers every single time I take this girl out! :eek:

9mmMike
November 9, 2004, 09:32 PM
One of our local x-gun stores here had a Camp-45 and the owner told me that if he could not sell it (he wanted too much), he was going to get it suppressed. Apparently this was quite a popular thing to do to the 45's.

VaughnT
November 14, 2004, 04:21 AM
9mm Mike, that sounds like a really cool idea! Kinda reminds me of the WW2 LaFrance (?) suppressed bolt-action carbines chambered for the .45acp round. It would definitely make for an awesome HomeDefenseCarbine in that config. :D

gtodan
November 14, 2004, 03:08 PM
Check this out:

http://www.lakesideguns.com/class3/camp.html

DanJ

Dave Markowitz
November 14, 2004, 07:18 PM
The extremely forceful ejection is impressive... brass is kind of hard to find when it lands in the next county!

Replace the recoil spring with at least a 16.5# spring from Wolff (www.gunsprings.com). The Marlins came grossly undersprung from the factory, which allows the bolt to beat things up in stock trim.

I have a Camp 45 and it's a great gun. Mine is quite accurate. I'm able to get 1-hole groups at 25 yards with the very coarse factory sights. I put a cheap BSA red dot on it which makes the rifle even more fun to shoot.

jcnesqmba
April 30, 2005, 06:39 PM
Now that I think about it. I think they come factory with a weak spring so that is easier to put the receiver back after cleaning. Its a litlle awkward. I would imagine it would be hard if I had a stronger spring. How many lbs is the factory spring on the camp 9?

smince
April 30, 2005, 07:52 PM
Kinda reminds me of the WW2 LaFrance (?) suppressed bolt-action carbines chambered for the .45acp round. It would definitely make for an awesome HomeDefenseCarbine in that config.

DeLisle Carbines, I believe they were called.

I'm glad some of you had good luck with your Marlin .45 Camp's. I had high hopes for mine. The big selling point for me (1911 mag interchangability) failed with mine. I use only Colt, Ed Brown, and Wilson mags in my 1911 pistols. Out of about 20 very good quality mags, I only found about 4 that would reliably work in the Camp .45 ( brand new in box). Don't have this problem with my Mechtech CCU.

I traded the Camp for a REM 1100.

Jbar4Ranch
April 30, 2005, 10:40 PM
I think the factory springs are 11 lbs.

MGRacer
May 1, 2005, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the good advice on the spring -- just ordered the 21 lb for my suppressed Camp 45.

Old Prussian
May 1, 2005, 06:37 PM
While your waiting for Marlin, look at the Beretta Storm
CX4 in either 9mm. .40 S&W, or .45cal.