PDA

View Full Version : M 14 Poly Tech from China.

prowler
October 28, 2004, 05:40 PM
:) I just bought a M-14 made in China import by Poly Technology, Inc in caliber .308 Win. It have a box and look like a M-1 Garand.

Any one know anything about this rifle please let me know how it shoot, I know it will not good as Springfield but I still want to know how accurate and hold up.

JohnKSa
October 28, 2004, 09:59 PM
They're pretty good guns. I'd actually take one over a current manufacture Springfield.

The only ding I've heard is that the springs on the Polytechs give out quickly. No big deal. I've heard some bad things about lots of things giving out quickly on the current manufacture Springfields.

Tom2
October 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
I have not seen alot about them since they were imported back when, but I read something about soft receivers and growing headspace from lots of firing. I did have an SA at one time, did not fire thousands of rounds, but had no problems with it either. Maybe more google search is needed as the mag articles about it are way out of print.

Darkangel
October 29, 2004, 04:53 PM
Really rough weapon, not very accurate, not really well made after the first year. Save your money and get the Springfield. The other choice is the AR-10 or the Bushmaster 308.
good luck
:cool:

4V50 Gary
October 29, 2004, 10:51 PM
Springfield Armory has had its problems too. I've heard that the Chinese receivers can be heat treated and brought up to standards. As for accuracy, 90% of it is in the barrel. You can have the best receiver and with a poor barrel, you'll won't shoot any better.

prowler
October 29, 2004, 10:58 PM
The Poly Tech M-14 I just bought it for $550.00 and that it worth. The stock is rought, receiver is not well made look like a toy gun, I bought it just for fill in one of my emptied gun rack proberly never shoot it.

I am glad they no longer import them anymore.

JohnKSa
October 29, 2004, 11:02 PM
Well, heck,

I'm guessing the quality level must have been pretty inconsistent--I had only heard good things about them.

Don't take my recommend, it sounds like there may have been some real pigs inported under the polytech name.

Wouldn't you know it--the one time I give anything Chinese a halfway decent recommendation! :(

Handy
October 30, 2004, 12:20 AM
At the very least, I would monitor the headspace. That seemed to be an issue with soft, incorrectly machined bolts.

Powderman
October 30, 2004, 01:28 AM
That was the original problem--soft bolts, NOT the receivers.

As a matter of fact, the receivers have gained a good reputation for toughness; they are harder than the SA's or other clones. Take a look at the Fulton Armory website; they advertise deals where they use the receiver, swap out barrel and bolt, and give you a real nice shooter.

smince
October 31, 2004, 05:01 PM
Do a google search for Smith Enterprises. They are M1a/M14 experts and have a package of fixes for the chinese guns, and can advise on what is right and wrong with these guns.

Handy
October 31, 2004, 05:17 PM
The Smith "fix" completely negates the cost savings of buying a Chinese M14 in the first place. Might as well just find an older SA M1A.

smince
October 31, 2004, 07:50 PM
Well, yeah, but since he already has the rifle anyway, he either has to fix it, sell it, or let it take up space in the gun safe. I don't think the Smith fix is much different than the Fulton Armory swap Powderman was speaking of unless you buy the whole package..

six 4 sure
November 1, 2004, 11:58 AM
Monitor the headspace and you’ll be fine. As stated earlier it was the bolts that were soft, not the receivers. Check out West Texas Ordnance, if you need to change the bolt, I believe they are significantly cheaper. You can check it out here http://groups.msn.com/WestTexasOrdnance/m14rifles.msnw

If you’d like to know more I suggest using the search function, it has been discussed several times. For more information, several Polytech owners can be found at the following links

http://www.m-14forum.com/

http://www.warrifles.com/forums/index.php?

http://www.ambackforum.com/index.php (look under battle rifles)

If you decide to get rid of yours, let me know, I’m always looking for a 2nd Poly.