PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a 91/30?

rugerdude
October 27, 2004, 05:51 PM
I just bought a mosin nagant 91/30 and then I read about and saw Gweher98's sks project and I was inspired. I'm thinking of drilling holes in the wood that surrounds the barrel, you know the thinner part to give it a heatshield appearance. Anyway I thought that that would be nifty, but I don't want to do JUST that but I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas. I promise i'll post a picture or two, but remember that I am not a skilled gunsmith, just a teenager wantin' to mess with his new gun.

Thanks,
Rugerdude

Erich
October 28, 2004, 08:50 AM
Maybe clean the stock up, but don't do anything stupid to it. Respect the rifle's dignity, man! :)

Wraith
October 28, 2004, 09:31 AM
If you want to do something awesome, restore it the best you can and enjoy it as is.

MHO.

Tamara
October 28, 2004, 10:06 AM
Unless it's a positively wretched example, I'm all in favor of putting old warhorses out to pasture intact.

Still, 91/30's are so plentiful right now that you have to climb over pallets of them to negotiate the aisles at gun shows, and every time some American businessman makes a wrong turn in Sevastopol, ten thousand more get imported. I don't see any real harm to posterity when the occasional Mosin recieves a zytel stock and an Advanced Technologies scope mount to make a poor man's deer rifle...

jefnvk
October 28, 2004, 12:50 PM
Don't do anythign that can't be undone.

I mounted a scope on my SKS. I hated it. Luckly, it was a reciever cover mount, so I just took it off. No harm, no foul.

rugerdude
October 28, 2004, 05:30 PM
Scopes are bad! Well at least I don't like them, the sights are more fun IHMO. I was going to refinish the wood though. I will also probably buy one of those things you slip on the stock that holds ammo, or a bandolier but that doesn't mod the rifle.