PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever experienced the dreaded "Marlin Jam”

flinchy
October 25, 2004, 03:42 PM
Recently my Marlin 1894 chambered in .357 jammed up badly I had to remove the lever to clear the jam. I did some research and fond this site. I looked at the carrier and sure enough, it has a notch on it just like the one in the picture shown in the link. I bought the gun new and only put a few hundred rounds through it. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem with your Marlin lever gun?
Fixing Marlin Jam (http://marauder13.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html)

Erich
October 25, 2004, 03:44 PM
Good info and link.

No, I've not had the bad fortune. My 1895 worked wonderfully.

JBP
October 25, 2004, 05:18 PM
I have an 1894S in .44 Mag. The only time it has ever jammed is when I used reloaded ammo. That happened twice, once with .44 Mag and the other time with .44 Spl. Now I only use new ammo and have never had another problem.

esldude
October 25, 2004, 05:20 PM
Had one that worked perfectly every time. Except when I tried using some Zero brand reloads. Then, each and every time it would jam up and could only be unjammed by removing the lever. Zero claimed an unconditional guarantee. The claim was bull crap. Don't buy Zero.

Don't which brand you were using, but that may be the main problem.

I did have a very old one once, and the wear shown in your link was the problem it had. But it only sometimes jammed. Not 100 % like with Zero.

Mannlicher
October 25, 2004, 08:55 PM
after probably 40 or more years of using Marliln lever guns, I can honestly say tha tI have never heard of this before. I have not personally experienced this.

WIL TERRY
October 26, 2004, 12:10 AM
Include models in 22LR, 357MAG, 44MAG, 30-30, 30-30ACKLEY IMPROVED, 32SPL, 35REM, 38-55, and 45-70. None have ever had what you refer to nor have any of them ever malfunctioned a single round, ever.
Other than the 22RF about 98% of the ammunition consumed by these carbines and rifles has been handloaded by yours ever so truly.

foghornl
October 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
Been a long time back, but I had a 44 Marlin that jammed like you described. Gunsmith replaced a part, and radiused the other, just like in the link.

After that, 400 rounds later, no jams.

slabsides
October 27, 2004, 08:05 PM
I've owned, shot, and worked on Marlins for over 40 years. The only feed problems I've ever noticed is when you work the lever too slowly. The mechanism seems to prefer brisk operation, and will sometims balk if worked gently. I've never experienced a stoppage requiring disassembly, though.
The 'fix' described in the link given above applies, I would think, mostly to guns used by cowboy wannabe's, who typically shoot fast and furiously and give their guns much more wear than the ordinary shooter. Perhaps these people should talk to Marlin about providing a factory radius on the lever cam, special hardening on the carrier, or both. Marlin seems to be committed to pleasing and providing special models for this game, lately.
My gunsmith pal says he'd do a surface hardening with Brownell's Kasenit on a new carrier, if it was going to be subjected to SASS usage. I'm inclined to agree that this would be a good idea.

TN-popo
October 31, 2004, 07:24 AM
One of my 1894Ps (.44mag, bought new) did this. Sent it back to Marlin. They not only fixed the problem, but did a trigger job as well. Never had the problem again.

BusGunner007
October 31, 2004, 01:44 PM
I installed the David Clay (DRC) Large Loop Lever on my 1895 / .45-70.
Does anyone know if this problem has been addressed in the making of that product?

I ask because I probably wouldn't know if I looked at it! :rolleyes:

9mmMike
November 4, 2004, 10:53 PM
I have my '56 336 30-30 apart right now (busted firing pin) and it does not show any such wear. It's got a lot of miles on it.
Is this just problem with the pistol-chambered guns?
Mike

GreasyStool
November 20, 2004, 09:04 PM
Watch your over all loaded cartridge length. Stuffing a wadcutter in a Marlin or too short an over all length is just asking for a jam. Yea, I have had a few, but all can be traced back to the above. Either too short/light a bullet or more than one wadcutter in the magazine. They will shoot wadcutters but they are two shot rifles with them only. One in the chamber, one in the magazine.

MeekAndMild
November 21, 2004, 12:35 AM
I had a jam once about 5 years ago. But it was the fault of the previous owner who'd taken it apartt to clean and hadn't loctited the screws. A screw came loose and the little cover for the loading hole jammed and wouldn't let me cycle the gun. had to takeit apart to fish out the cover but once it was put back together with a little bit of blue loctite and haven't had any more problems.

I figure in another ten years or so I'll have to replace the ejector.

Jeffro250
November 21, 2004, 12:45 AM
This has happened to me at a fault of my own...loaded up some rounds and the OAL was WAY too long...stuck em in the tube and tried to get the action to cycle. No go! Had to drop the lever out and manualy eject the rounds.

Tom C.
November 21, 2004, 08:34 AM
There is another kind of jam that the 1894 Marlins can develop, which seems to be most common in the .357 mag. rifles. It is the "Letting in 2" jam which seems to be caused by a carrier that is too short. It is easily corrected with a new carrier which can be gotten from Marlin or Brownell's.

Tamara
November 21, 2004, 09:33 AM
My 1894 in .44 suffered the same malady. Gunsmith fixed it. Ran fine thereafter.

DesertRat
November 21, 2004, 04:55 PM
:) Very informative.

629 shooter
November 21, 2004, 06:19 PM
I owned a 1894 in 44 mag in the late 80's that funtioned perfectly with all factory or reloaded ammo. Ended up trading it later.

Back in 99 I bought a newer version. Simply would not feed right out of the box. Took it back to the gun shop and the owner said it was because of my reloads. He completely loads the tube of the rifle with factory ammo and the lever locks up right in front of a store full of customers! He took it back and I ended up getting something different.

guntotin_fool
November 26, 2004, 04:30 AM
I have had marlins jam for two reasons, loading 38's in a 357, the length is too short and then as the first pops out of the tube before the mag cutoff can stop the next one you get a 2fer1 in the carrier. This bites.

The second was caused as mentioned above by a loading gate screw not being secured and getting loose and then locking up the action from the inside. This was a strip the action to fix problem. The problems with other peoples reloads all occur from not reading the various manuals as per the finished oal of the round.

Marlins which are fed good reloads love them and usually, despite the bad press given them, work very well with hard cast lead. Those in 35 rem are particularly fond of 158 gr keiths.

PsychoSword
November 27, 2004, 01:00 PM
The website mentions the problem as though it only occurs with a certain serial number range, but then doesn't go into detail :confused: