PDA

View Full Version : AKM Defensive Rounds?

Cheimison
October 25, 2004, 06:59 AM
My primary defense weapon is an AKM-style semi-automatic rifle. I currently load some Wolf Jacked-Hollow Points (I have nearly 1000 rounds of them). The Wolf rounds, while they would be incredibly lethal, have tremendous energy and would easily blow through several walls after passing through a man. Does anyone know of any 7.62x39 frangible rounds so I can more safely use this carbine in defense?

bullfrog99
October 25, 2004, 11:27 AM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=49077

http://www.corbon.com/catalog/index.php?file=catalog&uid=12665&action=catalog_productinfo&prod_pcategory=73022&pi_id=73050&clist=0,73022&uid=12665

Personally I would go with

http://mysite.elixirlabs.com/catalog/index.php?file=catalog&prod_pcategory=49349&clist=0,49199,49349&uid=12665&gpoid=

Not frangible, but TNT hollow points should make a mess of things upon impact, and they are almost afordable :)

Cheimison
October 25, 2004, 10:01 PM
Those mag safes are interesting, with the greater velocity and size of the 7.62 they shouldn't present the occasionally-not-hurting-him effect of Magsafe pistol rounds.

Mannlicher
October 26, 2004, 08:40 PM
wow. I did not know wolf ammo was now in the 'wonder bullet' class of ammo. My experience from many years of messing around with mil surp, factory, and reloads in the 7.62 X 39 round tell me that it is adequate, but no barn burner.

No4Mk1
October 26, 2004, 09:07 PM
Are these wonder-Wolf super-bullets in any way the inspiration for your

"Black Rhino Cop-piercing Uranium Death Bullets"

:barf:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154160

Please, find something more productive to do with your time....

Cheimison
October 27, 2004, 11:00 PM
A .30 rifle round at close range is 'incredibly lethal', whether it be 30-30, .308 or 7.62R. It's not a magic bullet, but because of the higher speed and mass of rifle bullets they can do lots of things that pistols simply don't have the energy to do (like liquidate tissue surrounding the wound channel and push it out your back, making a melon sized hole there). Also if a rifle bullet tumbles the length of it means the wound channel is going to expand fantastically, whereas pistol rounds are nearly round.

45 Fu
October 28, 2004, 06:25 AM
Some people have way too much time on their hands. Don't schools give homework anymore?

DT Guy
October 28, 2004, 07:33 AM
A 30 Russian is only 'incredibly lethal' compared to a pistol round, if that's what you're getting at.

If you're implying it's superior to the 7.62x54 or 5.56, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Larry

No4Mk1
October 28, 2004, 08:40 AM
Definition: Liquidate

liq·ui·date
v. liq·ui·dat·ed, liq·ui·dat·ing, liq·ui·dates
v. tr.
1. (a)To pay off (a debt, a claim, or an obligation); settle.
1. (b)To settle the affairs of (a business firm, for example) by determining the liabilities and applying the assets to their discharge.
2.To convert (assets) into cash.
3.To put an end to; abolish.
4.To put to death; kill.

v. intr.
1.To settle a debt, a claim, or an obligation.
2.To settle the affairs of a business or an estate by disposing of its assets and liabilities

I think the word you are looking for is liquify, and even then your statement is incorrect. Ask anyone who has ever shot a deer with a 30 cal rifle.

I agree with 45 FU, don't you have some homework you should be doing?

Tamara
October 28, 2004, 08:46 AM
Wolf 7.62x39 JHP has a dismal track record for expansion (ie. it usually doesn't.) Don't know if their soft point performs better, but I don't see how it could perform any worse. Most folks I know that are serious about shooting bambis with the caliber prefer one of the domestic-manufactured softpoints, like Remington's Core-Lokt or Federal Hi-Shok.

bullfrog99
October 29, 2004, 11:14 PM
Tamara is right about 7.62x39 hollow point and soft point made in Russia. Both have steel jackets and do not expand well. Most American made 7.62x39 ammo is .308 diameter however, so check your accuracy beforehand.

As to most of the rest of you === Give the dude a break. I don't know what you are all jabbering about but leave the guy alone. This is a legit question, and you are biting his head off for what... a former post and the mis-use of a word? :(

Mannlicher and DT: Wolf is not a wonder ammo, but the 7.62 with the right bullet has great potential for defensive use. Using DT's handgun example, the top handgun stopper is a 125 grain .357 magnum at 1450fps right, well here is a carbine that pushes a bullet of simular weight eight hundred feet per second faster. The 7.62x39 also has more momentum and more Kenetic energy then the 5.56x45. If the bullet construction is there, and the target is not wearing armor, the 7.62 can do the job at least as well as the .223 can.