PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 rifle or carbine ?

Tommy Vercetti
October 24, 2004, 07:41 AM
When the Ruger 10/22 rifle was introduced in 1964, it forever changed the way shooters viewed 22 rimfire autoloaders. The 10/22 represented a design revolution in a field where pre-World War II designs were still the rule. The trigger housing subassembly contains the entire firing mechanism, including a high-speed, pivoted hammer for short lock time. The barrel is locked into the receiver by a unique two-screw V-block system. The 10/22 also pioneered Ruger’s now-familiar rotary magazine, considered by many to be the most dependable 22 magazine ever invented. This flush mounted, high-impact polymer, rotary magazine gives the Ruger 10/22 a clean appearance and comfortable feel. All 10/22s feature a convenient cross-button safety.

Sleek, perfectly balanced, rugged, and superbly accurate, the 10/22 has sold in the millions. This is not surprising. The Ruger 10/22 looks right, feels right, and shoots right, inspiring fierce loyalty from its owners. Perhaps that’s why you see so few used 10/22's for sale; shooters don’t readily give them up. The Ruger 10/22 is a lightweight, reliable, moderately priced rifle that is built to perform under demanding use. For that reason, it has become a standard among small-game hunters, plinkers and competitive target shooters, where speed and accuracy are paramount.

10/22 LR Rifles:
Ruger offers a range of choices for the popular 10/22 LR rifle. The 10/22 Standard features a hardwood stock and a blued or stainless steel barrel. The 10/22 RPF features a rugged checkered synthetic stock with a grip cap and a blued or stainless steel barrel. The Deluxe Sporter features a top-quality checkered American Walnut stock with sling mounts and a blued or stainless barrel. The 10/22 International features a full-length checkered hardwood stock with a grip cap and a blued or stainless steel barrel. The 10/22 Target Model features a wood laminate stock and a full-contour hammer-forged target barrel, in blued or stainless steel. All 22 LR Models are drilled and tapped for a scope base adapter, included with each rifle.

10/22 Magnum Rifles:
The Ruger 10/22 Magnum rifle offers rugged features like solid steel receivers, which are machined to accept Ruger scope rings. The Ruger scope mounting system allows for rigid mounting directly to the steel receiver. Ruger scope rings are included free with each 10/22 Magnum rifle.

Tommy Vercetti
October 24, 2004, 07:43 AM
STURM, RUGER INTRODUCES
THE NEW RUGER 10/22® RIFLE

January 16, 2004

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc., (NYSE: RGR) the nation’s largest firearms manufacturer, announced today the introduction of the new Ruger 10/22 Rifle. Based upon the popular Ruger 10/22 Carbine first introduced in 1964, the Ruger 10/22 Rifle features an entirely new stock design, a twenty-inch tapered barrel with a new front sight ramp and an improved scope base adapter. The 10/22 Rifle will appeal to those who appreciate the outstanding performance and value found in all Ruger 10/22’s, but prefer the look and feel of a rifle rather than a carbine.

The Ruger 10/22 Rifle features a restyled stock that shoulders quickly and is light and easy to handle. The new stock is slimmer, with an increased length of pull and a tapered forend consistent with rifle styling. A flat, synthetic buttpad replaces the curved carbine-style buttpad found on the Ruger 10/22 Carbine, and the barrel band featured on Carbine models has been eliminated on the 10/22 Rifle.

The Ruger 10/22 Rifle includes a twenty-inch tapered barrel that features a sleek new blade front sight blade designed for easy target acquisition. For shooters who prefer today’s advanced optical sights, the 10/22 Rifle includes a new combination scope base adapter that accepts both 22 tip-off and Weaverstyle accessory mounts.

“The new Ruger 10/22 Rifle is specifically designed to appeal to the shooter who wants the proven features and performance found in our Ruger 10/22 Carbines but prefers the look and feel of a rifle. Those familiar with the Ruger 10/22 will enjoy the handling characteristics of the Ruger 10/22 Rifle as well as its new styling,” said Sturm, Ruger & Company President, Stephen L. Sanetti.

Introduced in 1964 as “the ultimate in logical design,” the 10/22 is the standard by which all other rimfire rifles are judged. Ruger 10/22’s have a legendary reputation for their innovative rotary magazine design, excellent reliability, and outstanding value. With over four million sold to date, the Ruger 10/22 is one of the most enduring firearm designs ever created.

The Ruger 10/22 Rifle will be available to customers beginning in late March 2004.

Ruger 10/22® Rifle Autoloading Rimfire Rifle – 22LR Model Number 1159
Catalog Number 10/22RR
Action Autoloading
Operation
Blow-back
Construction Aircraft-grade aluminum receiver & trigger housing with alloy steel
components
Finish Blued steel and black powder-coated aluminum alloy
Caliber 22 Long Rifle
Barrel Material Blued alloy steel
Barrel Length 20”
Rifling One turn in 16 ” RH
Magazine Capacity
10 rounds
Safety
Cross-bolt safety
Sights Ramped blade front sight, adjustable folding rear sight
Stock
Satin finished rifle-style hardwood stock with checkered buttplate
Length of Pull
14”
Drop at Comb
1-5/8”
Drop at Heel
2 1/2”
Overall Length
38 1/2”
Weight Unloaded
5 Lbs (approximately)
Standard Accessories
Instruction manual, black high-impact synthetic 10-shot rotary magazine, new combined Weaver & 22 tip-off scope base adapter, gun lock.
Suggested Retail Price

$275.00
Sturm, Ruger is the nation’s leading manufacturer of high-quality firearms for recreation and law enforcement, and a major producer of precision steel and titanium investment castings components for consumer industries. Sturm, Ruger is headquartered in Southport, CT, with plants and foundries located in Newport, NH and Prescott, AZ.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
“Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens”®

esldude
October 24, 2004, 01:39 PM
Well 10/22's have come with a scope adapter which in the few cases I have seen is useless. Scopes will not stay put on them. Best advice was to at least get a Weaver T09 base to replace it. And the new scope base is pretty much a copy of that. On the other hand, the standard ruger rings with machined in places used on their larger rifles is one of the best systems, too bad they didn't use that instead.

The rest of the new 10/22 is similar to the Walmart version. Good because they did away with the barrel band. And make the stock fit adults better. Of course if the owner isn't an adult this isn't necessarily good.

The rotary mags, I never liked them. Again, maybe I just haven't been lucky, but those I have seen needed to be tuned up just so. Once tuned they worked alright. But they aren't as simple as a good double stack much less single stack linear mag would be. It is good that they get the mag all inside the stock rather than sticking down.

They remind me a little bit of 1911 45's. Legendary for their reliability. Yet I sure do see lots of them that will jam pretty often. Same with 10/22's. Maybe I am really unlucky, but despite millions claiming they never malfunction I see them over and over that do. Usually it isn't a jam in the 10/22, but a round that fails to come up in the 'revolutionary' rotary magazine. Apologies are made for lack of cleaning etc. and on they go.

Maybe I have had extremely unusual luck, but older Winchester semi-auto's and Marlin 60's right out of the
box with a tube magazine seem much more reliable. I wish Ruger made a version of the 10/22 that had a tube magazine. Now if they did you might really have something. But if I were them, I wouldn't either, because everyone wants the mags to swap out. I find on long plinking sessions the drop in loading of the tube mag is terrific as it doesn't wear the fingers down.

So like almost all of Ruger's products IMO, a good idea, somehow close, but no cigar. They just don't seem to quite get it as right as they might. Frustrating for how close they do come.

Still most can be made to work, and are reasonably priced. Lot to be said for that. And yeah, I own a couple items from them. The most frustrating that I no longer own was a mini14. So close to being terrific, but such terrible and fluctuating accuracy. With factory mags reliable, but for anything else a crap shoot.

rugerdude
October 24, 2004, 02:41 PM
Eslude, you indeed are an unlucky guy. The factory mags I have seen and used are absolutely flawless, and EXTREMELY easy on the fingers (my friend's 597 used double stack mags, I use this for comparasin) As far as reliability goes, my friend (the 597 guy), his uncle and I were shooting one fine evening. I was armed with my 10/22, my friend with his 597 and his uncle with his marlin 60. My friend and I were plinking away and when we went dry placed our rifles on the table facing downrange, his uncle with his marlin 60 put the rifle muzzle up between his legs to reload it with the barrel just under his chin. NOT SAFE! anyway, as the day went on the marlin 60 jammed and had to be put up because we couldn't clear it. This was many months ago and the rifle still sits, halfway disassembled on a table. but then again, this is because my friends uncle was extremely lazy.

The only time my ruger was prone to jamming is after about 700 rounds of federal non-jacketed soft points. I will admit that SOMETIMES the factory mags can jam, this is nothing that a swift hit to your knee wont fix.

Mannlicher
October 24, 2004, 03:11 PM
I'll be honest, until now, I did not know such a beast as the 10/22 rifle existed. I like the idea, and will check one in .22 magnum out as soon as I can. Thanks

Tommy Vercetti
October 24, 2004, 07:28 PM
you're welcome :)

DPris
October 24, 2004, 10:27 PM
I've got one of the first new rifles. I've had it and the 10/22 Anniversary Edition here during the past year. The rifle is the one I kept. Just never did like the carbine version. Looks good, handles well, shoots well. Much better sights.
Denis

jcmios
October 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
Rifle version is more accurate out of the box then the carbine, onlu due to the front barrel band. The front barrel band steals the accuracy of the gun.

Best thing is to get one with the heavy barrel or buy a good after market bull barrel like Clarks.

jefnvk
October 28, 2004, 10:48 PM
I got a '66 Carbine with the international stock. Probably the best handeling rifle I have. And the original factory mag is still working great.

johnbt
October 30, 2004, 04:56 PM
I was 14 when the 10/22 was introduced and I've never heard it referred to as sleek.

And "superbly accurate"? I can't stop laughing. Sorry.

John

Gewehr98
October 30, 2004, 06:08 PM
Sure.

I'd still go with the plain-vanilla carbine at around $150, since one just buys the gun for the receiver, bolt, and lockwork.

http://mauser98.com/darin22-1.jpg

MPH
October 30, 2004, 09:49 PM
The 10-22 mags I've dealt with had weak spring tension. Had to take magazine apart and give spring another rotation. Then, had no more problems with them.

trapshooter
October 31, 2004, 08:28 AM
I bought a 10/22 rifle (not carbine) around 1978 or 1979. The only difference between the two IIRC was the stock. It cost 10 bucks more, I think. I liked it better than the carbine stock.

Renfield
June 19, 2006, 09:41 PM
I didn't know they made a 10/22 rifle :) mine are carbines

Leif
June 20, 2006, 10:21 AM
I've got the International carbine ... love it. I have four factory magazines, three of which work consistently, one of which doesn't. They do get dirty.

Wasn't the rifle version the so-called "Wally-World Special", or am I confusing two different items?

Cmu_Sniper
June 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
I have both, I consider both junk out of the box. If you dont fix them up, accuracy is a joke....

Renfield
July 1, 2006, 08:27 PM
here's mine