PDA

View Full Version : carbine ideas

bigbadbotts
October 24, 2004, 06:53 AM
Hi every body, I don’t live in the USA, I am a fair dinkum Aussie and I want some ideas on a carbine, anything other than semi-autos cause we have a government that took them away from us, so any ideas?

K80Geoff
October 24, 2004, 07:14 AM
Lever actions are still legal aren't they? A marlin 30-30 would be my choice in your situation.

Tommy Vercetti
October 24, 2004, 07:52 AM
or a Browning Lever Rifle :)

Cal4D4
October 24, 2004, 10:41 AM
Remington makes a nice little .308 pump with peep sights and 16.5" barrel. I have one, but have not shot it yet. Barrel is free floating and receiver tapped for scope rail.

Remington Carbine (http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7600.htm)

Wraith
October 24, 2004, 11:24 AM
Start by choosing a new government or changing your own. :mad:

Seriously, if you are allowed bolt actions, get a good light hunting carbine like a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08. I have one and it's great fun.

Tommy Vercetti
October 24, 2004, 07:32 PM
if Kerry and the demoncrats get back in power we'll be right there with Austrailia in no time at all :eek:

ducktapehero
October 24, 2004, 08:44 PM
How about this. This is imported here from Austrailia so it should be easy for you to get.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/m10rifles.htm

bigbadbotts
October 25, 2004, 06:30 PM
Hey thanks for the ideas with the carbines, by the way has any one shot the Remington model seven how doest it handle, recoil, accuracy?
Point taken over the government it’s probably a good thing that they took our semi-autos :)

NH AR Shooter
October 25, 2004, 09:21 PM
What do you want the carbine for, Hunting? self defense? If self defense I would consider a lever action in .357magnum, depending on barrel length, can hold about ten rounds, better fire power then a bolt gun. For hunting there are better suggestions above.

I wont tell you to get a new government, because it can go from bad to much worst, as may happen here, one week from now. :(

DPris
October 26, 2004, 11:46 AM
I have one of the laminated stock Rem 7s in .308. Nice little gun, shoots reasonably well, 2-3 inches as it came at 100 yards.
Sights will be replaced by better system, recoil pad will be replaced by a better one. Trigger's pretty clean.
Very good to carry.
Would make a great multi-purpose carbine.
Denis

Solidsheep
October 26, 2004, 12:47 PM
Nice carbine :eek: ! ducktapehero , I want one of them :)

FirstFreedom
October 26, 2004, 07:44 PM
Yeah, what NH AR said - for what purpose(s)? Cuz that's a wide open question if not narrowed down a bit. Hunting? Hunting what? In what type terrain? How versatile need it be? Self-defense? In the home only? Or vehicle only? Or home & vehicle? Varmint control?

I might tend to recommend this one for sheer versatility, without further info:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm

Hey, or those Enfield carbines that ducktape linked too look really nice and operational too, in 7.62x39 or .308.

bigbadbotts
October 26, 2004, 08:11 PM
I want the rifle for mainly hunting on foot through blue gums which is basically close cover, it has to have some hitting power about it because those big Roos can take a bit of a beating ;) , self defence is a negative because the way we are going over here one bloke trying to defend his family with a rifle would ruin it for every one.

gak
March 5, 2005, 02:45 AM
Rossi Model 92 (or Rossi made but a little nicer = Navy Arms, EMF, LSI (though the latter Legacy Sports International has a goofy safety) (some older Rossi 44 Mags oddly called 62s) ---- in .44 Mag that also shoot .44 specials. These are nicely made, fun and reliable Winchester 1892 replicas made in Brazil. Lots of folk around (popular in the US in cowboy action shooting (CAS) to slick these up too. Also Armi Sport (Italian), through www.taylorsfirearms.com, now making 92 replicas said to be nice (including some takedown models like some versions of Win 92s of yore) but are also more expensive. Most of these makers/distributors offer several variants from "trappers" (16" shortie carbines) to the most popular 20" carbines and 20" short and 24" long rifles (octagonal barrels). Also available in.38sp/357mag, .45 LC, etc. For hunting punch/versatility, I'd go with one of the Rossi-made .44 Mags (= older Rossi non safety, or newer EMF, also no safety).

Casp_A
March 5, 2005, 03:04 PM
How about this. This is imported here from Austrailia so it should be easy for you to get.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/m10rifles.htm

WHOA, I have GOT to get one of those!!! So wait, bolt-action, detachable mag, cage flash hider, California legal or not? I know that combination of features would be Cali-no-no on a semi-, but I'm not sure about a bolt gun. :confused:

too many choices!?
March 5, 2005, 07:40 PM
Casp_A My .o2 cents is that If Komiefornias Assault Weapons Ban :barf: was similar to the Federal one then it only banned SEMI-AUTOS with those evil :rolleyes: features.....I believe bolt action rifles with detatchable mags and other "assualt" features were not counted and probably could have had a foldiing stock, bayonnet lug and all the other evil :rolleyes: features.....For you see, semi-auto firearms were never intended for the public :rolleyes: , way too much firepower for the average man to possess :rolleyes: Sorry bout the mini rant but hey, we all gotta vent somehow :) !

Casp_A
March 5, 2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I really don't know though, I think the CA state ban is more restrictive in some ways, but I'm not exactly sure what ways.

itsmike762
March 9, 2005, 01:34 AM
Does anyone know what those are going for?.....7.62x39, cheap to shoot, good deer gun for my kids. Man if they are going for less than the Ruger M-77 in 7.62x39(which are hard as hell to find) then wrap in up I'll take it. :cool:

Casp_A
March 9, 2005, 07:33 PM
I think the M10A2 is going for $659. Unfortunately I heard a rumor though that the #4 Mk.4 and M42 have been abandoned, either due to technical problems or export-from-Australia problems.

Lawyer Daggit
March 9, 2005, 10:45 PM
There are plenty of non semi auto carbines ideal for Aussie conditions. I have a Rem Mod 7 .350 MS, an early production model 7 in .222, a CZ carbine in 7.62x39.

Aside from these bolt guns a full range of Winchester and Marlin lever guns are available as is the little Remington 7600 Patrol rifle.

Really depends on what you want it for.

Incidentally- Semi Autos are NOT BANNED in Australia, just very hard to get a licence for- you need to be a farmer who 'needs' the speed of fire to deal with a particular problem.