PDA

View Full Version : mini 30 question

expeditionx
October 21, 2004, 04:54 PM
I really dont know much about the mini 30. was considering buying one.
Has anyone tried to use the mini 14 mags in the mini 30. Wasnt sure if they would fit. Maybe even with just slight miodification of the feed lips.
There seems to be way more mini 14 mags available than the mini 30 ones.

expeditionx
October 21, 2004, 11:21 PM
And just to clearify i do mean a mini 14 mag loaded with 7.62x39 . Just dont know if it would work as far as fit and function.

NH AR Shooter
October 22, 2004, 03:00 AM
No, Mini-14 Mags will not fit or function in the Mini-30.

There are some very good 10 rd mags available for the Mini-30, and the people who make these should have larger Mags out soon, now that the AWB is gone. :) Dont plan on seeing any from Ruger :(

The main issue with the mini30, is that they( Some more so then others) tend not to like the cheap russian ammo, which comprises about 95% of whats on the market. Ruger says not to use it, Military ammo has hard primers, the mini is meant to be used with civilian stuff (soft primers) put out by remmington. You can expect greater extractor wear, due the steel case stuff.

DT Guy
October 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
With so many SKS and AK rifles out there that work consistently and sell for about half of the Ruger, why would you give a company that supported the AWB your hard-earned money?

Larry

expeditionx
October 23, 2004, 11:15 AM
If Ruger as a company still supports the 94 ban, then I don't want a mini 30.

DT Guy
October 23, 2004, 07:56 PM
Bill Ruger said, (I'm paraphrasing..) "No honest citizen needs a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds."

They still don't make them, which means to me that they're still on the same page. I haven't heard them flat-out renounce his comments, either.

Plenty of other companies out there that didn't sell out...

Larry

expeditionx
October 23, 2004, 08:23 PM
Yep then no ruger for me. :mad:

expeditionx
October 23, 2004, 08:47 PM
I wouldnt be surprised that, Bill Ruger among other gun CEO's helped pressure George (Senior) Bush into stopping importation of all those chinese weapons that many U.S. gun companies couldnt compete with. Why punish norinco which only serves to create a portion of comunist income and not stop every other product that ultimately creates far more wealth for the chinese communist empire. Had norinco been imported and distributed by Springfield Armory or some other big outfit there might not have been an 89 import ban.
Not really sure if the 89 ban encouraged the liberals to further push more import restrictions like clinton did.

So its possible that a little pressure from ruger, colt , and others caused an import ban way ahead of its time that led to further import restrictions of weapons like genuine factory H&K 91s, factory fn fals, and every other variety of semiauto rifle that is currently not importable.

Oh well no ruger for me, I guess more ak, sks, and glocks.

NH AR Shooter
October 24, 2004, 12:09 AM
Ruger wont see any of my money either, and there is one other NH based gun company on my personal black list, TC, was right there with Ruger, even worst, advocating a semi auto ban, after all, they dont make semi autos, do they. They only make respectable single shot sporting arms.... :mad: Two gun companys, just a few miles up and down the road from me, neither will ever see a dime from me. :(

I was hoping during the "DC Sniper" spree it would turn out to be a TC Contender in .223, that was being used, so that TC would catch some well deserved crap.

mr0w1
October 25, 2004, 07:49 PM
the main problem with the mini-30 is this: if you mic a russian 7.62x39 bullet, you'll find that it's actually a ~.310 diameter bullet. the bore diameter of the mini-30 is a true .308 diameter. this creates the horrendous accuracy that is frequently experienced with the mini-30. if you hand reload 7.62x39 brass with .308 bullets you'll find the mini-30 accuracy on par with the mini-14.

of course at this point in time this is all trivia, as ruger is a sell out and the mini-14/30 are inferior to other commonly available guns anyway. i would like to get my hands on an XGI though...