PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS Grenade Launcher

prowler
October 20, 2004, 08:21 PM
I disassemby an un-issued Yugo SKS to clean out all the cosmoline, after I think I want to take the granade launcher out a part (I may have to cut it off) after look and think about try to avoid cut it off, I have an idea how to modify the front grad. Launcher to be use as muzzle brake by drill the holes around it, I have a Weatherby .30-378 whic have a muzzle brake and I try to drill it the same pattern as Weatheby.

Any one ever done this before, if you have please let me know how does it work?

FF1090
October 24, 2004, 06:35 AM
The drilling should work, though the steel in SKS's tends to be hard. I once drilled compensator holes in the barrel of an older Norinco - it was difficult to say the least.
Nowadays, having both a Norinco (different rifle) and a Yugo, I would caution against it. There may be some question in drilling the grenade launcher from BATF's view (making a flash hider), but then with the AWB dead, that may no longer be an issue. Also, the Yugo has little if any muzzle jump with the extra weight up front.
Just some thoughts to ponder . . . :)

Arc Angel
October 24, 2004, 08:37 AM
:) The most frequent reason to add a muzzle break to an SKS is in order to improve accuracy. The Yugo is unique among SKS rifles; and, maybe, (just maybe) the chrome-molybdenum steel is harder and of a higher quality than the rest of the pack. Frankly I’m very reluctant to change the front-end on my Yugo; it’s unique, distinctive, and appropriately, ‘nasty looking’.

If your Yugo is shooting tight enough groups, you might want to think twice before turning it into everybody else’s SKS rifle! One thing’s for sure: That grenade launcher isn’t going to come off the barrel easily; and you might end up marring it in the removal process. The steel is the best and will be tough to work on, too.

There are two customary approaches to improve accuracy in an SKS: (1) Remove the GL, crown the muzzle, and install a brake. (2) Glass-bed the receiver and refinish the stock while your doing the GB work. The latter is the method I’d chose first. In both scenarios send your SKS bolt to Murray Gunsmithing in Bowie, TX; and your SKS trigger group to Kivaari in McKinney, TX. ;)

Gewehr98
October 24, 2004, 10:26 AM
If you remove the Yugo grenade launcher, it loses it's Curio & Relic status which allowed it's import in the beginning. Not a big deal to the current owner, but the gun is then reclassified for the purposes of selling later on down the road. ;)

jefnvk
October 24, 2004, 12:00 PM
If you remove the Yugo grenade launcher, it loses it's Curio & Relic status which allowed it's import in the beginning. Not a big deal to the current owner

Actually, it is a big deal. Response I got back from ATF says if it comes out of C&R status, the less-then-10-foreign parts rule comes into effect.

Don't know if drilling it would take it out of C&R, I believe that some Yugo GL's were already drilled.

Gewehr98
October 24, 2004, 12:14 PM
They granted an exemption to the folks in Kalifornia, letting the gun keep it's C&R status after the grenade launcher was removed to satisfy the more draconian PRK-DOJ rules. So, sans grenade launcher, it's technically a non-C&R gun in other states, while still a C&R gun in the PRK.

As a C&R FFL holder, I kept the original wood stock for my Yugo SKS after I put a www.NoUglyGuns.com camo synthetic stock on it. If I sell it down the road, the original stock will go back on it, and it will depart my bound book as a C&R.