PDA

View Full Version : m-1 SOCOM

hksigman
October 20, 2004, 09:33 AM
Recently saw this gun and am very interested in it. Was wondering if anyone has one? shot one? comments?

thanks

CQBArms
October 20, 2004, 09:54 AM
I've sold a few of them...the users seem to be happy with them. I like a SOPMOD upgrade from Troy Industries.

tcdrennen
October 20, 2004, 11:05 AM
M1 SOCOM? Do you mean the Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM?

hksigman
October 20, 2004, 06:18 PM
sop mod?

popndrop
June 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
What does anyone have to say about the SOCOM with a JAE Stock (J Allen Enterprises). I just got one, and haven't even had time to put any trigger time in yet.

b00
June 4, 2007, 11:38 PM
Both myself and my brother bought one a few weeks ago(socom 16). Nice handy rifle we thought. At the range though we have not been overly impressed. Both of us have and shoot regular m1as too.

The sights on the socom are not as good as the standard m1a. The front post is way to thick which makes it hard to shoot smaller targets at 100 yards. I think it would be a great improvement just to put the standard rear apature and front sight from a nonmatch m1a on it. They seem to work just as fast but can shoot at smaller targets more easily.

The brake/compensator does not work to well. I read some articles with people bragging about how good it is at reducing recoil. I wonder if they have ever shot a good brake that actually reduces recoil. The recoil seems pretty much the same as my plain m1a when shooting side by side. It does however reduce muzzel rise a bit.

My brothers shoots 6" high at 100 with the sight crancked all the way down. Mine shoots 6 feet high with an aimpoint mounted on the weaver rail. Not sure what is going on with this for as I have not had time to investigate.

Chrony data - avg of 5 shoots 6 feet from muzzle and compared one socom to one standard m1a.

handload - socom-2786, standard m1a 2901
hirtenberg - socom 2679, standard m1a 2795
australian - socom 2633, standard m1a 2772

I really like the rifle and plan on fixing the brake and scope mount issue. I think it will be a great blaster.

mooky
June 5, 2007, 12:38 AM
Have a Socom II. Took off the bottom rail and replaced witha Fulton swivel/Picatinny. Also added the Fulton cheek riser and an Eotech. Not a tack driver, but pretty consistent, and so far very reliable. I think it performs very well for what it was designed for.

wayne in boca
June 5, 2007, 05:45 AM
Have a Socom 16 with an Eotech 512 and a Blackhawk cheekrest.Like it more every time I shoot it.I have several M1As,but the Socom is a favorite.Say hello to my little friend.