PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a .223 AR for a Varminter?

MK9
October 19, 2004, 10:12 AM
The fab 10 is the only AR (other than the single shot) available in CA :mad: .
I called Armalite. They said they have lots of dealers ordering Armalite parts for the Fab10s. And Armalite guarantees accuracy of 1"@100 yards with their parts on a Fab-10. But I really thought it would be better than that.
Any thoughts?

Tamara
October 19, 2004, 10:32 AM
A friend called a heavy-barrelled, free-floated AR with a bipod "The greatest boon to lazy varmint hunters since the metallic cartridge." ;) A well-built AR varminter is capable of better than MOA with good ammo, no sweat.

MK9
October 19, 2004, 04:54 PM
I'd like to see some pics of his Lazyman's ;) Varminter

knightkrawler00
October 19, 2004, 07:25 PM
I shoot a Colt HBAR Elite. It has the 24", stainless, 1:9 twist, free floated, heavy barrel. It will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards all day long. I have shot some groups that were in the 1/2" range. This is with 50gr VMAX in a tight twist barrel and I'm no benchrest shooter. I'm sure someone with some bench experience could shrink my groups quite a bit.

As far as the accuracy guarantee, just about anybody can shoot a 1" group with cheap ammo (see above). This will mean less rifles returned for not being accurate enough, though most of the rifles will shoot better than MOA.

jdthaddeus
October 21, 2004, 10:19 AM
I use a Bushmaster Superlight carbine for varminting. I am looking to get it painted desert colors. I use it to hunt coyotes all the time, like weekly. I also use it for a variety of other varmints. I think it is perfect. I have never put it on paper, I don't care to, because it is incredibly accurate for my needs. I am sure it is plenty precise, because most Bushmasters are. The bullet goes right where I put it.

bikenjam
October 28, 2004, 11:01 AM
if your willing to shell out some dough, the clark gator, les baer, and some other manufactures will guarantee 1/2 MOA or better. Most of those rifles will border on 1/4 MOA accuracy. I have a DPMS that shoots about 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with good ammo.

jcmios
October 28, 2004, 08:23 PM
Olympic Arms Ultra Match also guarantees 1/4" groups and it does shoot sub 1/4" groups. It is very tight fit all around and functions 100%. For just over $1000.00 including a Harris Bipod I think it is the best buy for the money. The barrel is broach cut and you have a wide choice of twist rates. Mine is 1 in 8 because I shoot 69grs match bullets most of the time. The barrel is the heart of any rifle and IMHO the Olympic Arms broach cut barrels are the top of the line. No surplus items are used in their rifles, in fact they manufacture 100% of the parts used to build their rifles. This is not the Olympic Arms of the 1980's.

Give them a call and a hard look, they even offer a 30 day no questions asked return and full refund policy, who else does that?

bikenjam
October 28, 2004, 09:45 PM
I've looked all over the Olympic arms web site and haven't seen any thing about an accuracy guarantee, but it sure does look like a very nice rifle. Also, the price was about 1500, not 1000. I have heard very good things about there rifles chambered for the new WSSM rounds.

MPH
October 30, 2004, 10:00 PM
Also have a Colt HBAR Elite that'll consistently shoot under 1/4" groups at 100 yds loaded with 55 gr. VMAX loaded with W748. I varmint hunt quite abit with this rifle as it's one of my favorites.

bikenjam
October 31, 2004, 01:29 PM
How many grains of win. 748 do you use with a 55 gr. V-max? Also, which primer and brass?

Mannlicher
October 31, 2004, 03:16 PM
My son takes Coyotes with my Colt HBAR Heavy Target at ranges out to 200 yards. He hunts on his girlfriend's farm north of Gainesville. Iron sights, and Blackhills 60 grain Hornady VMax. I think they count as varmints.

MPH
November 1, 2004, 08:42 AM
With W748 powder, I load to 27 grns but I've heard of people also getting excellent results at 28 grns.

NovaSS
November 1, 2004, 09:37 AM
Pick up a stripped FAB 10 lower then go to the rock river (http://www.rockriverarms.com/rra_dealers.cfm) page.Drop in a two stage trigger, and a varmint upper. You will need a few extra parts but cheaper to build than buy.

An AR15 is not hard to assemble as long as you use a completely assembled upper. The lower half can be assebled in 30 minutes with basic hand tools. There are links for directions on many Ar15 web pages and there are even videos out.

I saved about $220 on the last AR I put together over buying it as a complete rifle. I used a RR lower with the two stage trigger , for the top I used a EOP varmint with a 1in 8 twist Wilson BBL at 20" long complete with the .233 WYLDE chamber (will shoot standard .223 ) I get sub moa with ss109 surplus ammo ( 62 grain AP) all day long.