G'day Everyone,
Need some help with identifying my rifle details are as follows
Overall Length-3.5-4ft
Caliber-308 nato
Action-mauser type
In built 5 rnd mag
Has a marking that looks like a circle with a crown or flame on top
Serial no?S-2076
Adjustable v sights that can be used in vertical or horizontal position with adjustable range slide
The whole thing looks like a mini Lee-Enfield at first glance any help would be great
Thanks howaford

TheBluesMan
October 19, 2004, 07:42 AM
Welcome to The Firing Line, Howaford! :)

I'm going to move this thread over to our Rifle forum. I'm certain that someone who frequents that corner of our site will be able to help.

45 Fu
October 19, 2004, 08:13 AM
Possibly a SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) jungle carbine converted to .308? Just a guess. Post a picture if you can.

Johnny Guest
October 19, 2004, 10:39 AM
First of all, welcome to TFL, howaford.

By the way: Do you have a means of posting a photo of the rifle? This might be the easiest way.

Failing that, it'll take a bit more information to make an informed guess. Let's go point by point. Some of the quesitons may seem a bit simplistic - - I mean no offense. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Overall Length-3.5-4ft
What is the barrel length? This is normally measured from the forward face of the bolt to the muzzle.
Caliber-308 nato
Uh, are you sure? How do you know? Is the rifle so marked? If not, have you ever chambered a 7.62 x 51 mm or .308 Win cartridge?

Action-mauser type
Does it cock on lifting the bolt handle, or on closing the bolt? Does the bolt handle stick straight out from the stock, or is it turned downward?

In built 5 rnd mag
Is the magazine flush with the bottom of the stock, or does it stick out at all? Have you tried any cartridges in it, and does it hold only five?

Has a marking that looks like a circle with a crown or flame on top
Serial no?S-2076
Can you describe ANY other markings visible on the rifle? Letters, crests, dates? On the metal OR on the stock?

Adjustable v sights that can be used in vertical or horizontal position with adjustable range slide. I presume the rear sight is located forward of the action. Is this correct? There are some that have the rear sight on the receiver bridge, above the bolt.

The whole thing looks like a mini Lee-Enfield at first glance
In my mind, the salient features of the Lee Enfield rifles are the long box magazine sticking out the bottom of the action. In .303 caliber, the bottom of the mag is steeply sloped upward from rear to front, and the entire body is "formed" in one piece. The .308 conversions usually have a separate, flat, less sloping floorplate. I've never seen a British Enfield that didn't cock on closing, though some US Enfields were converted to cock on opening.

Does the stock extend nearly to the muzzle? Does the barrel stick out, say, three or four inches past the muzzle? Or, perhaps, is the barrel exposed for a much greater distance? Is there an obvious bayonet lug on the bottom of the barrel? What kind of butt plate or butt pad on the stock? Sling swivels, studs, sling loops? Is there any sling with the rifle?

Is the front sight mounted on a tube ABOVE the barrel, similar to the AK47 and AKM design automatic carbines?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just to get my guess on record - - There were many No. 4 rifles made for the United Kingdon, in the US, and this might account for what COULD be a typical US Ordnance mark (the flaming bomb.) I suppose one of these rifles could be converted to .308, and even "sporterized." And the mag could be shortened during the conversion process.

Another guess might be one of the Spanish conversions of the Mauser rifles, using CETME barrels and other parts. I think these were designated FR7 and FR8 - - They'd have flush-bottomed mags, rotating aperture, rear-mounted sights, and the ringed foresight mounted on a tube above the barrel proper.

It is interesting to play these games of deduction. Let us hear from you at first opportunity, okay? :p

Johnny

nemesis
October 19, 2004, 06:29 PM
Normally I think Carcano when someone mentions the crown but the Swedes used those too.

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armisrc/arm105.jpg

We are still unsure about the significance of the profusely encountered marking "crown over TNI in circle", attributed to Terni (rarer found on WW I guns is "crown over OCR in circle", likely denoting Rome).