PDA

View Full Version : Stainless M-1 carbine users?

Tom2
October 16, 2004, 07:13 PM
Saw a gun I have heard of, but never handled, at a show today. Was an Iver Johnson M-1 in stainess. Had some kind of spacey pistol grip stock on it. Remember thinking years ago a SS M-1 would be the thing to have, but never saw one for sale anywhere. Thought they must be ultra rare. Has anyone ever tried one? Good gun, or loosey goosey cast iron loose headspace typical commercial carbine stuff?

Samuel2001
October 16, 2004, 10:36 PM
Tom2, I had the chance to play with one some years back, and all I can say is run away from thet piece of s**t.

My bud and his brother received one each from their father(WWII Grunt) as a gift and they were the biggest POSs I've ever attempted to shoot! To start off the Sights reflected so much light you could'nt make out your target, the hand guard flew off after the first 15-20 rounds and last but not least the stainless op-rod/charging handle(Stamped No-Quality Metal) warped it self by the heat being generated after three or four 30 round magazines through it, and ended our shooting session! And that goes for both carbines!

ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT SS-M1s BY IVER JOHNSON IS P.O.S. :(

WillBrayjr
October 16, 2004, 10:42 PM
this alittle of subject, if you wan't a good m-1 carbine, look at the kahr model, it's marketed under auto-ordinance and is made from original military blue prints.

Tom2
October 17, 2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks for letting me know about that. I have one carbine left, a Heinz 57 made of GI parts, IBM, Inland, and S.A. Had a Korean era but brand new SA barrel put on it and it shoots tight groups. But I thought stainless would be neat if there was a good one. Guess not.