PDA

View Full Version : Bullet shell

pinkfloydman
October 11, 2004, 03:14 PM
This may sound a bit weird and ididnt know were to post this question but does anyone know when the actual encased bullet was invented? or have a website that could tell me?

Jim Watson
October 11, 2004, 03:24 PM
Do you mean the self contained cartridge as used at present?
If so, the pinfire was in regular use by the French Navy in 1858 and so had to have been invented before that. The rimfire was first seen in low powered target loads very similar to a .22 BB or CB cap about the same time frame. Centerfire cartridges were developed soon after the War Between The States, with Colt and Remington conversions well established in the late 1860s.

Or do you mean "encased bullet" for the copper jacketed bullet used in most rifle and autopistol cartridges?
Earliest ones I know of were in Switzerland and, of all places, Spain in the 1880s.

These are approximate dates off the top of my head. Exact historical records and patent dates would take more work than I have time for.

pinkfloydman
October 11, 2004, 03:30 PM
thanks and what i ment to say was cartirage the self contained one...and thanks for hat information

Mike Irwin
October 11, 2004, 03:58 PM
The self-contained cartridge, in the form of the pinfire, was invented by Michele Lefaxchau (sp?) in France around 1836.

The first TRUE cartridge, as we would understand it today, was the .22 Short rimfire, invented by Horace Smith & Daniel Baird Wesson and patented around 1857.

The first successful jacketed bullets were developed by Col. Rubin in Switzerland in the late 1870s.

Dave R
October 11, 2004, 04:31 PM
Now ya got me curious...

Anyone know who developed the first commercial certerfire cartridge?

pinkfloydman
October 11, 2004, 07:23 PM
what is the difference of the pin fire vs the TRUE(as you state) .22 rimfire

Roadkill Coyote
October 11, 2004, 08:13 PM
A site with photos and diagrams of the pinfire system. (http://www.mawer.freeserve.co.uk/pinfire.htm)

pinkfloydman
October 11, 2004, 08:33 PM
thanks...so as what i read it was a very inferiour cartridge???

Roadkill Coyote
October 11, 2004, 08:58 PM
Inferior to what followed? Certainly.

But in 1836 it was the latest cool technology.

Chad Young
October 13, 2004, 02:43 PM
Also, the pinfire rifles, after a while, began to leak gasses around the bolt as the seals wore down. Troops learned to keep their faces away from the gun!

foghornl
October 14, 2004, 01:53 PM
With the pin-fire ammo, it could be quite......well, exciting if you dropped the ammo in a certain way... :eek: