PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 newbie questions

Big Ruger
October 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
After reading here about AR15 rifles I decided to build one now I am researching to find where to go for kits and parts etc. I have some questions which I believe can be answered here.
1. Has anyone heard of American spirit arms, and do you have any feedback about them?
2. Is the lower reciever something critical that needs to be bought from only a top tier company? or can you get away with a less expensive one from say Olympic?
3.When buying a kit do they headspace the barrel at the factory or do I have to have that done?
4. What kind of accuracy can I expect from my rifle? keep in mind I am not after a match rifle just not a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-.
5. Am I right in thinking that after I build the initial weapon I can buy other upper kits, such as the .50 Beowulf and use my lower?
Thanks in advance for any help given I dont quite know why this seems so important to do now as I have never even liked the AR15 or the .223 before. It does however seem to be a good Idea to have something on hand wich eats the same thing as the govt rifles do.
E.

Handy
October 11, 2004, 02:22 PM
1. There have been some problems with ASA, I'd skip them, as well as Olympic, Model 1 and M&A. I favor JT Distributing for a low price/high quality kit.
2. Top drawer is unnecessary, but I'd look to the newish Ameetec or Mega receivers, which can be had for $85.
3. AR15 headspace is controlled by the way the barrel locking lug extension is attached to the barrel - which you can't control. It will be correct from the factory.
4. Less than 1MOA, ammunition depending, with a scope.
5. You can switch the uppers, for the most part (with the exception of Colt). Specialty calibers may have special requirements, but the maker will be up front about them. But that lower will accept upper kits in .22, 9mm, .45, .223, 7.62x39, .300 Whisper, etc.

TheGunslinger
October 11, 2004, 04:49 PM
I have to disagree, I have Oly stuff and I think it's great. In the past, (early 90s' I think?) Oly had some problems, but now they make some of the most accurate and inexpensive ARs available. Of course, I have heard great things about the brands handy mentions too. (plus I think the Mega roll mark is very cool :) )

Handy
October 11, 2004, 05:57 PM
TGS,

I've heard it both ways. There are enough AR parts companies out there to just cut your losses and exclude anything questionable. But I would go with Oly before ASA, M&A or Model 1.

TheGunslinger
October 11, 2004, 06:19 PM
True 'nuff
And you are correct in saying you can get a mega for $85 or so, and I have heard good things about them. I don't think Oly recievers are any cheaper, really.

Big Ruger
October 12, 2004, 07:24 PM
How about a lower from LAR grizzly? 79.00

Big Ruger
October 13, 2004, 04:51 PM
Btt

jailbait
October 14, 2004, 12:27 AM
look into "mega" lowers"

http://www.carricozarmory.com/products/megalower.htm

should run you about $229 with 6 pos. collapsable stock, shipped.

jailbait
October 14, 2004, 12:29 AM
btw... building is going to be a hell of a lot more expensive than a "stock" oly arms rifle. you can pick up the plinker for around $519:

http://www.gunsnstuffonline.com/index.aspx?pagename=moreinfo&dssid=be8d111f-3eb6-430e-b568-1f061632a3d3&uniqueid=4087708

Handy
October 14, 2004, 11:05 AM
A close up examination will reveal that the Oly "Plinker" is based on an ugly, crude casting coupled to an A1 upper. The $50 bucks more you'd spend building one would yield a rifle more similar to what Bushmaster sells for $750.

And, if you account for sales tax, it might be even money anyway.

TheGunslinger
October 14, 2004, 11:58 AM
c'mon now Handy, be fair, that price is MSRP and you should be able to get one for much cheaper. Plus, just recently Oly started making the plinker with forged lowers, they are no longer cast.

Handy
October 14, 2004, 03:33 PM
Didn't know about the change, but the one I looked at 3 years ago both looked bad, and cost all of $520.

TheGunslinger
October 14, 2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah I don't like the looks of cast either. If anyone wants to see the difference, go to Oly's web page, go to FAQs and look at the on about cast vs. forging. It shows differences in detail.
nevermind here's the link
Cast vs. Forged (http://www.olyarms.com/castorforged.html)

Handy
October 14, 2004, 03:54 PM
Looking at that site, the Plinker Plus is forged, and now has a $599 MSRP. It still has an A1 rear sight.

The page on Cast vs. Forged should only be used in reference to Oly products. Most AR receivers are cast, and look much better.

jailbait
October 14, 2004, 05:54 PM
hellooo... follow the link i posted. MSRP directly is $599... the link i posted has them for $519 plus shipping...

and yes, they are a forged lower. for an entry level, first time ar, the plinker is a wonder. personally i'm going with a mega lower, chip mccormick 2 stage trigger, rra chromed lined 1:9 twist barrel, accutek upper, rra bolt & carrier, and dpms tuber 16 hand guards.

TheGunslinger
October 14, 2004, 06:08 PM
That sounds like a great setup jailbait, let us know how it turns out.