PDA

View Full Version : Question about my new m38 Nagant.

Daedalus
October 11, 2004, 09:38 AM
Gun show this weekend. I picked up a rifle I've been wanting for a long time. A m38 Mosin Nagant.

I cleaned it up as soon as I got it and took it to the range to see how it shot. I noticed that I was not able to load any rounds in to the magazine manually. They would get hung up on the rim of the cartridge and not load properly. I had to load each round in the chamber one by one. Do you have to use a stripper clip to feed them properly? (I was meaning to pick some up at the show but I got too anxious to fire it I forgot to buy some)

Thanks for the help. Other than the feeding issue, everything went flawlessly. :)

Erich
October 11, 2004, 10:14 AM
No, you should not need to use stripper clips, in fact, the 7.62x54R cartridges should pop quite easily into the magazine. If you can't make it work, and a Mosin-experienced friend can't make it work, it should be fairly simple to swap out the magazine (you can get parts online from Reich - google him).

But I would be really shocked if the magazine were problematic. Perhaps something is installed wrong. There are lots of good Mosin sites on the web - start here and then nose around in their links if you don't find anything you like.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/

Daedalus
October 11, 2004, 10:33 AM
It was almost as if the rim of the casing was too wide to fit down into the magazine.

I was shooting that Czech stuff (looks to be a copper washed bullet with a steel, un-laqured case) that people have been getting "sticky bolt" from.

I also wasn't very persistant with the loading of the magazine. When futzing around like that, I didn't want to be handling live ammunition with a rifle I wasn't very familiar with.

Drue
October 11, 2004, 06:20 PM
The MN action has an "interupter" on the left side of the magazine to seperate the top round from those beneath so that the rims don't get locked and prevent normal feeding. The thing is spring loaded and you have to push all but the top round down past it. When you close the bolt, thus chambering the top round, the interupter is depressed (to the left) and allows the rounds in the mag to move up. When you open the bolt again, it springs into action and seperates the top round from those below so that the top round can be chambered with no rim interference with the round below.

It just takes a little force to snap the first four rounds past the interupter. The fifth should lay above it. If this does not work, the interupter may be bent, have a broken or weak spring or may be gunked up with grease, cosmo or some other crud. If pressure works, great! If not, try cleaning and as a last resort, replace the interupter and spring.

Drue

bullfrog99
October 13, 2004, 05:49 PM
Make sure the rims are being fed into the interupter, if you try to push down the rims in front of the interupter the bullets will not go in. look for a sort of shallow U shaped thing that you can push in with your finger on the inside top left of the magazine.

Daedalus
October 18, 2004, 10:22 AM
Yup, the interupter was a bit sticky. A little more pressure and I was able to feed the rounds one by one.

I guess with these old russian rifles you have to be a little more rough to get them to operate.

fraz1112
October 18, 2004, 12:12 PM
no. the 7.62x54r round should easily go into the action but if it doesnt ....like one of mine did (i have 2) file iot down