PDA

View Full Version : YellowBoy plinker

wymanwinn
October 7, 2004, 05:33 PM
Any opinions on the Henry Yellowboy lever action in 22lr...? I spied one in my LGS today and it really caught my eye, good looks, good feel and a great price...

I'm looking for a plinker to play with on the cheap as well as a fun gun for my better half...

thanks

Third_Rail
October 7, 2004, 08:54 PM
IIRC they switched to a brass coating over a zinc frame. I'm not entirely sure as I've only handled older examples.

scottys1
October 7, 2004, 10:37 PM
I can't comment on third_rail's post as I haven't seen any recent production rifles. The first ones were made from an alloy Henry called "Brasslite". This may still be true.
In my dealer days, we sold many of these rifles. Nice rifle, smooth action. We couldn't keep them in stock. Only had one come back with a problem. Shipped it back to Henry, they handled it in short order and it worked fine.
We played a joke on the customer. The rifle came back with a test target with a very small group, but no yardage marked. We put 150yds. on it, put it back in the box, and let the customer (a regular customer and friend) discover it. :D Good for some laughs.
This rifle has no provisions for mounting a scope. If you like open sights, you will be happy.

rugerdude
October 7, 2004, 10:45 PM
This seems like a good rifle for me, how much does one cost?

DPris
October 7, 2004, 10:54 PM
It's the Henry Goldenboy, and I've shot both LR & Magnum versions.
Brasslite receiver covers.
Both were very smooth & very accurate. Nice wood.
Jury's still out on the longterm durability as opposed to a Winchester or Marlin with more steel, but they do look & shoot nice.
Denis

wymanwinn
October 9, 2004, 09:19 AM
the msrp is $399, but they had one on consignment for $279...will probably go and snatch it up today if it's still there...

thanks all for the valued opinions...

wyman