PDA

View Full Version : What rifle to get at the big gun show?

rugerdude
October 5, 2004, 05:52 PM
I'll be going to the big gunshow here in tulsa later this month and if I sell my 10/22 I could have about 300-350 dollars. What could I get for this. I'm particularly interested in a CETME G3 clone or a sar-1 ak clone. BTW the 10/22 was my first gun and I wouldn't want to buy something that would make me regret selling it.

Foxy
October 5, 2004, 07:10 PM
You might regret selling it, even if you do get a good price for it. I sold my first rifle, an SKS, and even though it was just a dinky SKS, nothing special about it, I still miss it.

nobanforme
October 5, 2004, 07:27 PM
My first rifle was also a 10/22 I still regret selling it 25 years later! But I now have three other 10/22's :D

rugerdude
October 5, 2004, 09:36 PM
Can anyone vouch for the awesomeness of either of my intended purchases?
I don't see how I could regret selling my gun if I got a functioning, fun battle rifle. I just want to know if either is any good and what to look for before buying one. Thanks. BTW, I'll probably be getting another .22 for christmas anyway :D and my buddy sold his first rifle and never looked back.

BusGunner007
October 5, 2004, 10:06 PM
NEVER SELL YOUR 1ST GUN.

My first rifle was an SKS Paratrooper ( milled and threaded ). In a moment of excitement and justification, I traded it. BAD MOVE.
I'll never replace it. I'll always regret getting rid of it.

That said, I understand what you may be thinking, but I hope you don't give in to the urge at this time.
If you're going to get another firearm for Christmas, save for that one, whatever it may be, and spend your time at the BIG SHOW doing some homework.

My thoughts on your two selections would be:
You could use the .308 for more than blasting/plinking.
You could use the 7.62x39 for massive amounts of blasting/plinking, but it won't do what a .308 will do.
You could use your 10/22 for massive amounts of blasting/plinking for MUCH LE$$ than the AK variant, and still have a .308 for heavier a role down the road.

If you handle a lot of different things at the show and spend lots of time BS'ing with the dealers and attendees, you may form some different opinions by the time you get back...and you'll STILL have your FIRST GUN~! :)

Alrighty then! :D

rugerdude
October 5, 2004, 10:16 PM
I've held an AK-variant (not sure what kind) and a G3 clone, i'm leaning twards the G3 clone now, but this morning I wanted the AK and this afternoon I thought there's no way I would sell my 1st gun, A bit indecisive aren't I? :D ............but man, that G3 clone looks cool! Oh well, at least I have plenty of time to decide.

BusGunner007
October 6, 2004, 06:39 AM
"Welcome to my nightmare...I think you're gonna like it!" :eek:
Alice Cooper :D

jefnvk
October 6, 2004, 12:38 PM
"Welcome to my nightmare...I think you're gonna like it!"
Alice Cooper

Holy crap, just as I read this that song is playing :eek: :eek:

If you have any doubts that you may miss this gun, don't get rid of it. I hate getting rid of guns. You may have another 10/22, but you'll never have your first gun again.

How much do you have without selling the 10/22? You may want to bug your parents to let you do work to get some money.

keens
October 6, 2004, 04:49 PM
rugerdude...I am so new to these forums I am not sure what senior member means...I am 44 and a junior which is fine because so many of you guys know more about guns than I do...anyway, I often see the best advice coming from these senior guys (Art, if you read this I always look for your posts) and I read their posts s-l-o-w-l-y and try and think about it...when some say you may regret selling your first gun...at least consider it...and save your money a bit longer for that next rifle. I have done it both ways...and I too have my regrets...fortunatly I still have my 10 22...my first gun was stolen from my home years ago :mad:
But I have replaced them...kinda miss the stolen ones (one was my first)...
I highly recommend though a .308 bolt action in every mans collection...FWIW

kelsey
October 6, 2004, 06:33 PM
I'm in agreement here. NEVER SELL YOUR FIRST GUN.

KElsey
High Mountain Hunting Supply
www.luvtohunt.com

jefnvk
October 6, 2004, 07:42 PM
I am so new to these forums I am not sure what senior member means

When you hit 100 posts (IIRC), you become a senior member. Has nothign to do with age.

Another thing, make sure you get what you want. I just bought an Enfield 1917 for $150, and not a week later, I found some Swedes for $200. But, I couldn't buy it, because of the Enfield impulse buy :(

durt_b1ker
October 6, 2004, 08:30 PM
Of the guns I own, the CETME is the most fun to shoot. It isn't the most accurate weapon I have, and it's certainly not the prettiest. But it's very well suited for one thing...

Blastin' and laughin'.

That horrible old ugly spanish gun just makes me smile.

FirstFreedom
October 6, 2004, 10:01 PM
rugerdude, either one is a good choice - it comes down to whether you want an intermediate power rifle (7.62x39) or a "full" powered rifle (7.62x51). Few things more fun than a AK/SAR, and the ammo is cheeeep.

Jeffnvk:

I just bought an Enfield 1917 for $150, and not a week later, I found some Swedes for $200. But, I couldn't buy it, because of the Enfield impulse buy

Well, if I were you, I wouldn't feel bad at all about not having the money to get a swede, if you got a 1917 for $150 - damn - those are expensive nowadays - what condition is it in - you may have gotten a real steal. A 1917 puts a major smile on my face.

I'm looking to buy at the Wanenmacher show, one or more of the following: a CETME or .308 VEPR, a .22 revolver, a .45 acp revolver, and a rossi .50 cal muzzleloader / .243 win rifle combo set, among other things, if I can find them sans paperwork (a personal collection sale).

rugerdude
October 7, 2004, 07:14 AM
Well, I got the O.K. for the AK from my dad so I'll just have to make the decision at the show. I wouldn't mind selling it if it goes to a good home. I'm also pretty sure I'll be overjoyed about the AK and I will get attached to it very quickly. I love my 10/22 and yesterday I fired my final shots with it and spent some quality time cleaning it. You only live once and life is just too short to do this whole..........."saving" thing you guys are always talking about ;) In any case I can always buy another 10/22. I also kinda decided on the AK because it is cheaper to shoot, oh yeah it's also A FRIGGIN AK! :D

keens
October 7, 2004, 07:47 AM
jefnvk thanks for clearing that up for me on the senior thing...rugerdude...let us know how you like the new gun...good shooting.

jefnvk
October 7, 2004, 11:40 AM
Well, if I were you, I wouldn't feel bad at all about not having the money to get a swede, if you got a 1917 for $150 - damn - those are expensive nowadays - what condition is it in - you may have gotten a real steal. A 1917 puts a major smile on my face.

I love the rifle, I have just been after a Swede. It was leased to a foreign gov't, and the US markings were removed. So, its not big on collectors value. But all the parts are Winchester, the barrel is original (Dec. 17), and its got most of its bluing. Haven't had a chance to shoot it on an actual target, but itll hit stumps at 25 yards. The thing I like the most is that its so heavy, that there is no recoil. But, it does have the ugly CAI import stamp :(

czmatt
October 7, 2004, 12:01 PM
No matter how much you love the new AK, you will always miss your first gun. I have come close to selling my 243, but I cant do it. It was the FIRST gun I ever shot, even before a pellet gun.

rugerdude
October 7, 2004, 04:43 PM
Oh I don't doubt that I will miss it, but I can deal with it. I'm just not the kind of person that gets attached to non-living things. It is an awesome gun but I bought accessories to model it after an AK. I think I will be very happy with it or I wouldn't even be consider selling it. I also take comfort in the fact that this is not an impulse buy, I've been doing some research on it.

Jamie Young
October 7, 2004, 07:27 PM
NEVER SELL YOUR 1ST GUN.

I regretted selling every gun except my Ruger MKII.

Don't sell a gun unless you don't like it. If its all about money you should just save the money and buy something else.

rugerdude
October 7, 2004, 07:46 PM
What should I expect to pay for a new sar-1? Also, what should I look for (other than canted sights or a canted gasblock)? I heard something about them no longer bieng imported, is this true? Also, how would I identify a sar-1 as opposed to a wasr-10 other than the dimples on the magwell?

FirstFreedom
October 8, 2004, 10:16 AM
Well guys, he's got his heart set on an AK, which I can understand. The bright side of this, I suppose, is that 10/22s are pretty common and homogeneous, so you could replace it later and never know the difference. :) (or better yet, get a Marlin 60 instead!). Go to www.gunbroker.com and search with AK or SAR or MAK to see what some asking prices are - look for auctions with "buy it now" or similar designation.

But, having said that, Jamie's advice is pretty solid - it's usually a bad idea to ever sell a gun. I too regret every sold gun transaction, 'cept *maybe* the Llama 1911 in 9x19, my second gun and first pistol.

bullfrog99
October 8, 2004, 11:56 AM
Sell it and buy an SAR-1 if you can find one. Dont' bother with the WASR sieries, they may or may not work, but I know the SAR ones work. CETME's are good too but they cost more to feed and weight more. In either case, read up on how to pick out a nice one, as either one could have sights or in the case of the ak gas tubes torqued off axis a few degrees. Best to avoid that if possable.

SAR-1 rifles will have SAR-1 electropenciled on one side of the reciever, and made by sn romarm sa/cugir on the other.

Tom2
October 8, 2004, 02:25 PM
You might find that the dealers will really give you a beating if you try to sell them the Ruger. They usually expect to turn it around and make alot. If they cannot get it from you cheap enough, they will pass on it. For what a dealer there might give you, you might decide it is vastly more economical to just set on it and have it on hand. Look at what new ones cost for comparison. Now with the ban lifted, you can get all kinds of neat accessories for the Ruger. Big mags, fancy stocks, etc. That gun has all kinds of possibilities for customizing or upgrading that other 22's will not have. Check the parts catalogs. For me, now, if I have a gun to sell and I can't make enough selling it at the show, I just set on it, unless I really don't like it or something is crappy about it. It will not get less valuable over time like a car, unless it gets rusty or something! Some guns are really an investment, and a new gun loses some value the first time you fire it, but guns are not like computers, the latest model does not really make the old guns less valuable. So if you still kinda like it or can still use it, don't take a beating on the resale at a gunshow. Just keep it. Surely you can get some money elsewhere without feeling you have to sell, and losing money on it.

rugerdude
October 8, 2004, 03:03 PM
The 10/22 is hardly stock, or it wouldn't even be worth selling. I've had my fun with it and now I must move on. DARN GUNSHOW!!!! GET HERE BEFORE I CHANGE MY MIND!!!!

BusGunner007
October 9, 2004, 01:12 AM
IF you sell your first gun in a hot-to-trot pursuit of another gun...the price you will pay is that you'll get a lot less for your gun and you'll have to live with being cheated out of it for the passing moment of excitement. :o

...you'll have to live with being cheated out of it for the passing moment of excitement.

...you'll have to live with being cheated out of it for the passing moment of excitement.

And you'll eventually hate the gun you gave up your first one for. :mad:
It will all be meaningless and you'll be soured on guns for life. :barf:

Sad story with a bittersweet ending, isn't it? ;)

rugerdude
October 9, 2004, 04:38 AM
Well if this "passing moment of exitement" lasts until the gunshow then it will last much longer than that.

jefnvk
October 9, 2004, 01:12 PM
Also, if I remember correctly, you are only like 14 or 16. Make sure your parents approve of your choice, since they have to buy it. My parents wouldn't touch a mil-surp gun for me, so I had to wait until I was 18 :(.

rugerdude
October 9, 2004, 01:27 PM
My dad (who will be the one buying it for me) has approved. As long as I keep my grades up and stay safe then he really doesn't mind what it is I want. Also, seeing as how shooting is my only hobby and I don't get to do that as often as I would like it is easy to keep the grades up.

jefnvk
October 9, 2004, 04:38 PM
Cool! Just don't let the grades down. Did that once, and I wasn't shooting skeet for a marking period. Never failed a class again after that ;)