PDA

View Full Version : scope for my 10/22???

BurnoutNova
October 5, 2004, 01:42 AM
i just bought my 10/22 a week ago, and i think im going to put a scope on it.

ive been looking around and was thinking of the tasco pronghorn 3-9x32.

is that to big? is this a junky scope? ive seen them for 25$ i know thats pretty cheap but i dont really want to spend tons on this gun.

what do some of you guys use on your plinker 10/22's?

thanks
zach

rugerdude
October 5, 2004, 07:13 AM
I had just the same scope. It will work fine for a plinker, my scope had a tendency to rotate the crosshairs inside the scope though.

keens
October 5, 2004, 07:41 AM
I had a cheap Bushnell on my stock Ruger 10-22...paid $50 dollars for it at Wal-Mart. I wasted my $50...vowed back then I would never again purchase a cheap scope for any rifle. I saved some money and put a Leupold 3X9X40 Vari-X II on top and am shooting less than one inch groups at 50 yards and not much worse at 100...with Remington ammo. With the Bushnell, I could hardly see the target, much less shoot a satisfying group.
Only Vari-X III's on the other rifles...even waited two years to save for a Swarovski this year. I understand some cannot spend that much, but my experience has taught me that waiting until you have the $$ for a good scope is worth every penny. To me, rifle scopes and optics in general define the often quoted saying "you get what you pay for".
By the way, I love my 10-22...hope you like yours too. It is a keeper! Good shooting.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
October 5, 2004, 09:23 AM
Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you just bought the wrong cheap scope or didn't set it up properly. My family and I have 6 or 7 rifles set up with $40 Simmons Deerfield scopes that work wonderfully and are used to take deer every year. I put a Simmons ".22 Magnum" scope (silver finish) on my 10/22 and it works flawlessly... it ran about $50.

Heck, pull the scope out of the box and take a look across the store.

keens
October 5, 2004, 12:06 PM
Quickdraw you are probably right...and no offense taken. I have set up a few scopes and all have worked fine except that one...maybe it was the scope...maybe just me. The scope was a gift by the way, so no way to look through beforehand...good point though.
My brother uses a Tasco scope and shoots very well...so I did not mean to imply that people cannot do so unless they have a Leupold or Swarovski...they are just my choice, and I have learned a few lessons that have saved me some money on this forum...so I was hoping what I said might save someone the hassle and frustration I encountered with that little 4X Bushnell.
My cousin who taught me everything I know about hunting used a Bushnell most of his life...until one day I let him shoot my Browning with the Vari-X III on top. Now he has Leupolds on his rifles too...Is he killing more deer than before?? About the same...By the way, my brother just bought a VarI-X III also...no deer yet though...

BurnoutNova
October 5, 2004, 01:14 PM
well, i have nevr bought a scope before so i really dont know what im doing. i just saw the tasco in a magazine, and thought it looked decent. i think i'll go ahead and get the tasco 3-9x32 and if it is junk, im only loosing 25$

is that about the right size for a 10/22 though? i dont want to get to big of one.

zach

spalit
October 5, 2004, 01:54 PM
I found a Tasco 4X-12X 40mm with mil dot reticle. Think it was $80 on sale at CTD. Probably over-scoped for a 10/22. But it's been great for training. At the higher mags, I can watch my breath move the crosshairs around. The mil-dot reticle helps, since I have it zeroed in @50 yds and shoot anywhere from 25 yds to 100 yds at the range I go to. It also helps with holding over/under with different ammo, etc..

Quickdraw Limpsalot
October 5, 2004, 05:03 PM
keens, you make some very good points about not wasting less money MORE times on scopes. I just wanted to show the other side of the coin.

Burnout, another avenue to explore might be an inexpensive red-dot scope (Wally World offers one at a pretty fair price.) My brother uses one on his 10/22 with lots of success. This particular one does NOT magnify, however, so that may be an issue.

emperor91108
October 18, 2004, 06:00 PM
http://www.tasco.com/riflescopes/target_varmint_mag624x40.shtml

This scope has great target knobs and is under $100. It wont hold up big caliber guns, but is great on a .22

jsidhu
October 18, 2004, 06:07 PM
Im thinking of going with either the Tasco 6-24/50 or BSA 6-24x.

Both of these scopes are under a 100 bucks...both offer Mil Dot reticles but the BSA has an illuminated reticle.

What do you guys think about these two scopes? Overkill for my 10/22? Should I completely dump the idea of getting a 6-24x and go with something like a 3-9x?? This gun is simply for target practice..

Is it worth getting an illuminated reticle?

Thanks guys!

FF1090
October 19, 2004, 10:04 AM
BurnoutNova, I have the silver 3-9X32 Simmons on my Stainless finish Wal-Mart Special 10-22 rifle. Silver rings to match, and I painted the Weaver TO9 rail silver too.
I originally used the high see-thru rings that bolt to the rifle, but switched when I got the TO9 rail.
This rifle is my "new twentytwo" that I use to compare my older ones against, so I won't be modding it very much. It's never be a target gun, so the 3-9X32 is a good size. Perfect set-up for squirrel shooting and tincan plinking.
On my more serious .22 boltrifles, I like the Bushnell 4-12X40AO at Wally Mart. Got two of them on Marlin rifles - a .22 Mag and a .17 HMR. They needed the extra magnification.