PDA

View Full Version : Henry .22 lever or Marlin 39A?

MK9
October 4, 2004, 02:47 PM
I know they are beasts of different action . But they are in my price range. And I won't cry at the first scratch with either of these.
Opinions please.

Dfariswheel
October 4, 2004, 06:36 PM
Personally, I think the Marlin 39 is the finest lever action .22 ever made.

They still make them the same way they did in the 1890's....solid milled steel, and American walnut.

The Marlin heavy barrel with it's Micro-groove rifling gives superb accuracy.

While the Henry might be an OK plinker and knock-around gun, the Marlin is something you'd be proud to pass on to your grand kids.

Quartus
October 4, 2004, 07:04 PM
2nd vote for the Marlin. Everything he said.

Haven't had my hands on a Henry, though.

Bobshouse
October 4, 2004, 08:06 PM
Ive got my dad's ol'39A in the safe. I used to visit him a week out of every year since my parents divorced when I was 6 years old... The best memories I have of our times together include that 39A. My dad died of cancer in 1993, but a part of him lives on....with me and his 39A. I still take it out a few times a year, shoots as straight as it did all those years ago.

Get something your son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter can treasure. The Henry has a anodized aluminum receiver painted black with plastic barrel bands, the Marlin is solid steel and walnut.

Bob

Byron Adams
October 4, 2004, 08:38 PM
I have owned Marlins and Winchesters. I bought a Henry a few months ago. It is more accurate and smoother action than the Marlins or Winchesters.

Dean C
October 5, 2004, 08:56 AM
Marlin 39A has my vote. Bought one in 1981, new Original Golden. After something in excess of 300,000 rounds through it, the only thing I have had to replace is the firing pin. Just did that last week (thanks dfariswheel, OEM parts are the only way to go). I did have to tweak the cartridge cut off but again look at the number of rounds. Accuracy, on a bench, un-believable. Off hand, shoot the heads off grouse out to around 60 yards. Did that just last Sunday. My son bought one about 6 months ago. He loved mine so much he didn't even hesitate when he spotted this in a used gun rack. The very best thing about them is their weight. I plink with the 22 all summer. When fall comes and I git the mountains for deer, I pick up my Marlin 30-30 and feel like I'm shooting the 22. At least until I touch one off. Love the Marlins!

support_six
October 5, 2004, 01:12 PM
I used to be the merit badge counselor for the "Marksmanship" Merit Badge (Rifle). I used both a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 39a. The scouts liked both for many reasons but the scores were a little higher with the Marlin.

Clemson
October 5, 2004, 03:22 PM
I mounted a scope on a Henry for a guy last Christmas. The gun was a nice piece to look at from across the room, but up close it did not compare to a Marlin. It also had a plastic barrel band. That completely turned me off.

Give me a Marlin or a Winchester 9422.

Clemson