PDA

View Full Version : wasr questions

jailbait
September 30, 2004, 03:18 AM
anyone ever heard of a wasr 10? or the slr 101 s? reviews?

Zigokubasi
September 30, 2004, 10:57 AM
The WASR-10 is the single-stack Romanian import AK clone. The SLR-101 is the single-stack Bulgarian import AK clone. I am *not* a fan of single-stack AKs, nor are they reliable after converting to double-stack feed from what I've heard. That said, the SLR-95 (the earlier Bulgarian double-stack AK that the SLR-101 is based on) was one of the best AKs I've ever messed with.

Hazwaste
October 1, 2004, 04:49 PM
I've got a double-stack WASR and have had it for almost 2 years. I've not had problems with it. That being said, something about cutting open the mag well to mag the full-size mags fit seems not right.

AK103K
October 1, 2004, 06:36 PM
I have a converted WASR10 and it works fine. No problems feeding, no problems with the mags, and it has no trigger slap either. It has a nicer finish and nicer wood than my SAR and shoots very well too.

jaysmith
October 1, 2004, 06:45 PM
I have a wasr 10 hi cap ,never had any problems with feeding or mag insertion and was suprised on accuracy at 100 yds ,and paid $325 nib out the door for it .I would say it is worth the $.I prefer the Ar15 type ,if you dont have one or two yet ,save up and get one first.

Chris Pinkleton
October 2, 2004, 02:44 AM
I don't own a WASR, but do own a SAR, and from my experience with the gun shows in Raleigh, my main complaint about them, much like the SAR (if you can find one anymore), is that the finish varies from semi-OK to hideous. This is OK, if you can pick out one that doesn't look too rough. Or, you can do what I did to my ugly SAR, and refinish it with some Gun-Kote II and "military-style" stain. It turned out pretty well. Sorry, the pics I have are too high-res too post here.

Also, even the converted to high-cap WASR won't accept those huge drum mags, if that makes a difference to you. If I didn't have the SAR, I'd buy one of the converted WASRs, as long as the price was under $325 or so.

On second thought, now that my refinishing job gave me the "do-it-myself" bug, I'd probably buy a Saiga instead, and convert it to AK-configuration, since that's my plan for a second, nicer fit Kalshie now anyway. But I'm glad to have had the experience with a already AK-configured gun first.

Warlock
October 10, 2004, 10:58 AM
I have both the SAR-1 & the newer WASR-10. They're both pretty similar except the WASR has blond wood, welded plates instead of dimples to stop mag wobble (they still do), and my WASR originally wouldn't accept all AK hicap types. Century's monkey laborers incompetently ground some WASRs to make the hicap conversions. If needed, here is a tutorial link to complete the grind yourself: http://gunsnet.net/Linx310/wasrwell.htm The WASR is good for a junky fun plinker with Golden Tiger 7.62 fmj, but my SAR is a hair more accurate with its preferred Wolf hpt. Neither can touch my Arsenal (L.V.) milled SA M-5S .223 AK.

gburner
October 10, 2004, 07:21 PM
I think that 'junky' is a tad unfair and misleading. I find my WASR to be a robust, servicable, easily carried and inexpensive semi-auto rifle. I must be lucky as I have had none of the problems with canted sights or gas tubes, poor finish quality, trigger slap or magazine 'fit' issues. It is not, nor was it ever intended to be, an uber accurate weapon. With the addition of a 'mojo' rear apeture sight, however, the accuracy and sight picture can be improved significantly. Out to 150 yards or so it is a fine weapon for plinking, targets, varmints and small to medium game. It is also more than adequate to the task of repelling boarders and firmly discouraging those of ill intent.

The WASR 10 is to AK types what the Rock Island .45 is to 1911A1's. It ain't a beauty but it goes bang every time and hits where you aim. Isn't that all that's required?

jailbait
October 14, 2004, 12:22 AM
i finally got to fire one this past weekend. My brother in law has one it turns out. I liked it. at 200 meters I got three dead center, 2 in the 9 ring and 5 in the 8 ring. that's using the iron sights and no scope, which i think if i get one, will be a requirement.