PDA

View Full Version : remington 700

jailbait
September 28, 2004, 07:32 PM
okay, so i might not go for an "assualt rifle" and am now looking at some alternatives. Such as the remington 700 in 7mm-08. I've found one at a local dealer with a scope for $496. it's something x50...

should i jump on this? or should i shop around for other brands/models.

i'm not going to be hunting, it's going to be a toy and only used at the range for 200 yards + target shooting...

J. Scott
September 28, 2004, 07:56 PM
If it's going to be a toy and to target shoot why do you want to use such large / expensive ammo why not .223 /.243 or even .308 is on the large side but surplus ammo is out there at good prices. Also check out Savage they are some of the more acurate rifles at a reasonable price right out of the box

jailbait
September 28, 2004, 08:15 PM
any particular model in a savage?

Ala Dan
September 28, 2004, 08:23 PM
For an extremely flat shooting cartridge, may I recommend the
.25-06 Remington. It provides excellent long range accuracy
with bullet weights from around 87 grain Spire points, to 120
grain Spitzers.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

J. Scott
September 28, 2004, 08:25 PM
I don't own a Savage but I have some friends at the range that shoot the tactical models I think it's the 110 (someone else will chime in and fill in the blanks if im mistaken)

User Name
September 28, 2004, 08:28 PM
It's just my opinion and you know what they say about those...but the Remington isn't that musch more expensive than a savage and you can't beat a Remingtons action (in that price range), as far as acuracy..you'd have to show me the figures to back up Savage as a more acurate rifle. IMHO the remington is a fine choice for long range plinking...I would suggest, as stated before, going with a smaller less expensive round such as the .223, 25-06, etc. If your realy gonna play with this much and are looking for a rifle in those calibers I would suggest searching the auction sites for a "varmit" model that's made for that type of shooting...
Just my .02

patent
September 28, 2004, 10:01 PM
Such as the remington 700 in 7mm-08. I've found one at a local dealer with a scope for $496. it's something x50...

You probably need more information to determine if that's a good price or not. What kind of scope? What kind of remington 700? You can look at all the different remington 700 models here: http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/centerfire.htm

As for me, I like the remington 700, but I like the Tikkas better. If this is your first rifle you should go to a store that has lots of different rifles and pick a couple up. See what feels good on your shoulder. It should seem natural. I think the advice I had was to close my eyes, raise the rifle to my shoulder, and then open the eyes, and see how well positioned everything was.

patent

riddleofsteel
October 5, 2004, 06:30 PM
Savage builds accurate rifles for less. However, they save money by using some rough triggers. Do a search for Rifle Basix triggers. It is based in Charlotte NC and is a quality company. A Savage with a Rifle Basix trigger is a best buy.

629 shooter
October 6, 2004, 12:09 AM
The Savage Accu-Trigger,which is on many models now, is a far better than any of the out of the box Remington 700s I have owned. I still own a 700 and have a Jewell trigger installed. All the 700s I have owned have been extremely accurate. Never owned or shot Savage - but they have a great reputation for accuracy.

Loam&LtGrn
October 6, 2004, 08:31 PM
I bought a Savage 10 FP-LE1 20" .308, barrel a few months back and can tell you its one fine rifle...I have a Remington 700 LTR 5.56 and believe the 10 out performs it in every way except for distance...I shoot every weekend (I've missed three Sundays in that past 10 months). Mine shot great out of the box!!! :cool:

kelsey
October 7, 2004, 09:41 AM
Hey Jailbait-

This will give rough idea of what you are looking for in range of costs for savage packages.

I just read your post and did a little research in my dealer book. I can't confirm anything yet because my distributors web sight is down. You can get a combo savage set complete with scope and Accu trigger with a walnut stock for around $430.00. Not sure exactly on the price until I can confirm with my distributor. This is for the 10G and 110G series packages in most calibers including 7mm 08, 308, and 270.

If you want to save a little more money, you can get the model 111FC packages with come with a scope, synthetic stock, but no accu-trigger. Packages run around $350.00 (estimate). Only comes in 4 calibers including 300 win mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 270 win, and 30-06

If you want to go without a scope, you can upgrade into the 11G and 111G classic hunters which have a hardwood stock and open sights. Lots of calibers, accu-trigger, but open sights.

You may be able to find used packages with better scopes at some of your local dealers or online.

FYI

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kelsey
High Mountain Hunting Supply
www.luvtohunt.com

Johnny Guest
October 7, 2004, 10:34 AM
- - And, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd probably start there, even today.

BUT - - Some of the Savage package deals are simply outstanding value for the money. I'll admit to being skeptical about the new Savage "Glock-style trigger," and also that I've not personally tried one. But a couple of old line varmint hunters, whose opinions I highly respect, tell me that the Accu Trigger is the finest appliance ever put on a factory rifle.

For your stated purposes, jailbait, I'd sure look into that $430 package deal that kelsey mentions.

Best regards,
Johnny

keens
October 7, 2004, 11:22 AM
I love my Remington LTR in .308...and my cousin will never sell his Remington Model 7 (blue with 18-1/2 inch barrel) in 7mm-08...this is one sweet rifle :cool: These are my choices...let us know what you get and how you like it...The remington LTR can be seen at the LE (Law Enforcement) section of the Remington web page....and one thing I like about the LTR and the full size PSS versions of the Remington 700 is that they do NOT have the annoying little bolt lock on them... : :cool:

gxi.llc
October 7, 2004, 01:53 PM
If you want to shoot for fun, you'll want to shoot a lot, and buying a rifle chambered for a cartridge you find as military surplus is the smartest thing you can do. You can find .223 (5.56mm) for as little as $100 for 1000 rounds. 1000 rounds of 7mm-08 will probably cost you around $500. .308 (7.62 NATO), .303 British, and 30.06, while not as cheap, can be found at very reasonable prices. Both rifles are excellent choices, and I usually search gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com to see what a fair market price is for any firearm. Get something you can afford to shoot a lot, because it's no fun if you aren't shooting it. Also, look at the Mauser 98. You can pick these up really cheap and there's loads of triggers, barrels, sights, stocks, anything you want to customize this gun. I've seen some really nice rifles built on this action in all sorts of calibers, and the original 8mm ammo is cheap, too. So you could get this, shoot the heck out of it, and turn it into whatever you want as time goes by. Just a thought....

Joseph
October 7, 2004, 07:33 PM
I second Keens on the 700 LTR, .308. Great shooting rifle and plenty of cheap ammo around.