PDA

View Full Version : I need advice from some Vietnam vets.

User Name
September 27, 2004, 02:31 AM
I've got an AR-15 that I want to build into a Vietnam era M-16 copy..I know I need to change the furniture, and I'm pretty sure the magazines were the striaght type (unlike todays curved ones). So here's my thoughts..correct me as needed and throw in any thing I might be missing...
(please keep in mind, all I know is what the movies portray :rolleyes: and the "supposed" authentic replicas I've seen, which is why I wanna hear from the people that carried them)
Furniture..triangular for end, "old style" (don't know what else to call it) pistol grip, but I'm not positive about color..(black or green?)
I've also seen some stocks with a rubber "end plate" versus the plastic "trapdoor" is that an after market add on or is that old surplue??
Upper has the sites built into the carry handle...
Canvas sling (black or green?)
And straight instead of curved mags, not sure of the capacitiy...all the ones I've seen look like more than 10 but not as much as 20...
Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks again..

P.S. Sorry if this was asked simularly somewhere else on the board, if it was I guess I didn't know what search criteria to use...

Also, I know alot of people browse this site, so if your not a member and wanna give me some helpfull advice email me at blaze*@*superford.net (remove the *'s)

AK103K
September 27, 2004, 05:26 AM
If you look at a Colt SP1, you'll have a pretty good idea of what a M16 of that era looked like. The M16/M16A1's did not have the adjustable rear sight like the A2's do. They were adjustable, but not for elevation. The early ones had no foward assist, and neither have the brass deflector the A2's have. Some of the earlier ones had a "prong" type flash hider instead of the "birdcage". You can get M16/M16A1 furniture from Northridge for about $20 a set(stock, handguards and grip). The stocks can be had both ways, with and without a trap door. The one without the trap door has the rubber butt plate. Furniture is black. The kits are in good shape and clean up well and are great for camo projects too. The "straight" mags are 20 rounders. They were the mags initially issued. I have both and like the 20's the best. The slings were pretty much like they are now, black with a slider and that rattling clip at the rear.

Clemson
September 27, 2004, 10:17 AM
Mine had a black stock with green web sling.

Clemson

Quartus
September 27, 2004, 10:34 AM
And a few of them said "Harrington & Richardson" on the side, instead of Colt! :D

No, I don't recommend making that modification. ;)

AZ Jeff
September 27, 2004, 01:38 PM
Making a Viet Nam-era "lookalike" sorta depends on WHAT POINT in the "Southeast Asia War Games" you are trying to emulate. The M16 was constantly evolving during Viet Nam, so all you can do is take a "snapshot" of the design.

Here is what would constitute an "early" M16, as opposed to the later rifles:
1. triangular front handguards
2. straight (not "delta" type) handguard slip ring
3. thin profile 1 in 12 twist barrel
4. open 3-prong flash supressor
5. chromed bolt and carrier
6. "teardrop type" forward assist
7. lower receiver without raised "fence" around mag release button
8. NO ejection "bump" behind ejection port
9. old-style two postion flip rear sight without elevation adjustment
10. old style 5 detent round profile front sight post
11. short-style buttstock with NO trapdoor on buttplate
12. rear sling swivel attached to buttstock by roll pin, NOT via lower buttplate screw
13. twenty round magazines
14. green/tan NYLON military type sling (with slider buckle)

There are a number of other subtle things that could be changed to reflect the small continual incremental improvements that the M16 underwent, but this list covers the MAJOR stuff that sets apart an early Viet Nam era M16 from the later ones.

dZ
September 27, 2004, 01:45 PM
you will need the non Forward Assist upper with A1 sights and no brass deflector:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/SlickSideUpperReceiver_50.jpg

Fulton Armory has this olde school-esque AR:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/GEN_II.htm#LegacyRifle

User Name
September 27, 2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I pretty much had it right in my head..forgot small details like the teardrop forward assist, etc.
I think my best bet is too just stick this one back in the safe and buy one from Fulton armory...thanks for the link dZ!!! ;)

Once again thanks for the help....

dZ
September 27, 2004, 08:31 PM
the Fultons appear to be original 1/12 colt uppers

i think SARCO has the same surplus A1 upper