PDA

View Full Version : Wincester 30-30 sighting?

Borodin
September 24, 2004, 06:02 PM
Ask a avid hunter friend to help me sight in my win 30-30 when i get it. He laughed and said, "not sure it CAN be sighted in."

Surely the accuracy is not as he says????

johnbt
September 24, 2004, 06:25 PM
I predict you won't have any problem with it. Try 2 or 3 kinds of ammo if you can. Start shooting at a big piece of paper or cardboard at 25 yards or so and work your way out to 100 yards. Don't rest the barrel on the sandbag if you're using one - get the bag back towards the action. If your shoulder starts getting sore use another sandbag between you and the gun. And don't shoot fast enough to make the barrel glow. :)

Remember, shooting is fun even when you have to work at it.

John

Handy
September 24, 2004, 07:09 PM
My brother's 30-30 will shoot inch groups at 100 yards.

Ask your friend what he's smoking, and if you can have some.

radom
September 25, 2004, 03:26 AM
inch groups at 100yds with a 30-30? hmmmm..thats a new one for me.

Handy
September 25, 2004, 11:47 AM
Why? What possible reason should 30-30 be any less accurate than any other production centerfire at 100 yards?

It's not still loaded with blackpowder, you know.

Dwight55
September 25, 2004, 06:32 PM
I wish I had the venison my uncle from Wisconsin put in the freezer with his old '94 he got just after WW2. I wouldn't have to hunt for several years and could eat high on the deer for a long time.

Accurate??? Plenty enough accurate to take down any whitetail within 100 yards. Problem then becomes the 30/30 round itself. Much over 100 yards and you are going to be dropping em in like mortar shells (high arched curve ;) ;) ).

If I bought a western style lever rifle, I would opt for the .35 Remington cartridge, . . . in a Marlin rifle, . . . but that is just my choice. Best wishes.

May God bless,
Dwight

mtnboomer
September 26, 2004, 02:46 AM
Sight it in 1" high at 100 yds and hold dead-on for anything out to 150 yds! ;)

FF1090
September 26, 2004, 05:28 AM
I too used to scoff at the idea of an "accurate" lever rifle. Til I finally got my Marlin 336 in .30-30. One inch at one hundred yards? Yep, with ammo it likes. Like any gun, condition and ammo is the key. And a decent scope - my 47 year old eyes are good up to 50 yards open-sighted. My "thutty-thutty" wears a Weaver 4X scope now. Plenty good for our smaller Florida white-tails at a hundred yards or less. We rarely have to shoot longer than that.
My buddy has a new EMF carbine in .357 Magnum - that's another accurate little levergun! Less kick, but still enough grunt to take down our deer. :cool:

FirstFreedom
September 26, 2004, 01:12 PM
Shouldn't be any reason at all it can't be that accurate with appropriate loads - may require handloads; may not, depending on the gun. And the irons are adjustable, so adjust em (if needed) - like the man said, a 125-150 yard zero gets you point-blank minute-of-deer out to 150-170. There's nothing at all inherently inaccurate about the .30-30, IINM. There's also nothing inherently inaccurate about a lever-gun; perhaps not as inherently accurate as the finest turnbolt guns, but not particularly inaccurate either. If it's in good condition, it will lock up tight and shoot very well. From such a gun in new condition, I'd expect at least 2 MOA (but not 1) from quality factory loads under very good to perfect conditions, with a 5-shot group. If not, there's something wrong. I think your friend may not know what he's talking about, or possibly, you misunderstood him.

buzz meeks
September 26, 2004, 02:41 PM
radom- I've got a Marlin 336 that will put three shots into an inch or less with any brand of ammo as long as it weighs 170 grains. That's with a Williams FP rear and a Brockman front sight. I was just out this morning to double check my zero and my last hundred yard group had all three shots touching.

Tom Matiska
September 27, 2004, 10:25 AM
Watch barrel temp . The two piece stock, barrel band, and magazine spring can all cause a hot barrel to walk around. My 30-30 can shoot the first few cold ones as good as any, then wander like it is lost. Take another gun to the range to put more time between your groups.

Rounds in the tube matter. The Win 30-30 has a little more drop in the stock than most bolts, and you may experience the kind of barrel jump that pistol shoters are familiar with. My 110gr plinkers will climb 2-3 inches at 50 yards as the mag goes from 5 to empty. Less with heavier 170's.

George Hill
September 27, 2004, 06:10 PM
Your friend makes John Wayne cry.

BigG
September 28, 2004, 10:53 AM
George Hill: I read somewhere that John Wayne's 94 was actually a 32/40, also, he carried a 32/40 round in his pistol belt for good luck or whatever in his films. I looked and sure enough he had a long skinny rifle round in amongst the 45 cal stuff in some films. Dang, I miss the Duke!