PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else besides T/C have the same combo muzzleloader/rifle barrel swappable setup

FirstFreedom
September 24, 2004, 10:19 AM
????

The Contender is a bit spendy - wondering if NEF or anyone has the same deal, where I could buy a muzzleloader barrel, and swap out with rifle bbls also. The NEF muzzleloader in bass pro does not require an FFL, so I assume that its not available from them... Don't get me wrong - the Contender is worth the money - I just don't have it right now, and I need a muzzleloader by Nov - and I don't want to "waste" money on a dedicated muzzleloader.

Tom2
September 24, 2004, 07:05 PM
Here is a wacky idea-maybe some gunsmith could take a HR 45-70 barrel and thread a breechplug in the rear, and tap a hole to install a nipple, set to the point that the hammer just barely rests on it with the action closed. Then you could load it like a muzzleloader, open it and put on a cap, and then keep the hammer at half cock till it was time to fire. Don' know where you would hang the ramrod,though!

Dead
September 25, 2004, 11:48 PM
Mossberg has them for the 500 model, last I checked anyways

FirstFreedom
September 26, 2004, 12:10 PM
Rossi, baby. A matched pair of BOTH .50 cal and .243 - all for MSRP of $252. That's going to "hit the spot", cuz I wanted a .243 anyways - perfect!

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S243-50M&category=MATCHEDPAIR

Tom, that's not a bad idea at all. Wondering about the tolerances of bore size in .45 centerfire vs. .45 muzzleloader - would there be enough room to ram the bullet down the bbl? Anyhoo, with the price of the Rossi, I can't go wrong here. But, the only options on the swap are apparently only .243 or 20 guage, so not nearly as flexible as the Contender. Or, perhaps I'm mistaken - perhaps you can put ANY barrel on any - it's just that you can't buy them as a "matched pair" for a special price in anything but the 20 ga or .243 second bbls....

Dead, the Mossy 500 - the shotgun can become a muzzleloader and centerfire rifle?