PDA

View Full Version : Yugo Sks

ConfinedbytheCurtain
September 22, 2004, 10:42 AM
I am considering buying a Yugo Sks, but I have a few questions that maybe you seasoned gun vets could answer. How is the accuracy on these rifles? They are around two hundred dollars, so I am kinda worried about quality issues. Since I live in Kali, I think this is the only Sks that is Kali legal. Is this true? Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

gburner
September 22, 2004, 11:05 AM
My experience with the Yugo SKS has been quite satisfactory. I'm certanly no marksman, but at 100 yards I could put every round that I fired in a 6 inch circle center of mass in a human size target. Recoil is minimal. I found the weapon to be quite reliable, easily broken down for cleaning and very inexpensive to shoot.

Some negatives...

The SKS tends to be a little long as a carbine, difficult to maneuver with through a house or apt. or in and out of a vehicle.
It is a little on the heavy side. The Yugo's tend to be rather front heavy because of the bayonet, grenade launcher and sight.
The SKS loads via a stripper clip that fits through the opened bolt. Opinions vary as to whether this is a more
user friendly method of loading than magazines.
The SKS has a poor trigger. This is remedied by the installation of an aftermarket group.
The SKS takes only 10 rounds in a fixed magazine. Most aftermarket removable mags have a reputation as junk and are best avoided. This is a negative only for those who desire a higher capacity weapon.

ConfinedbytheCurtain
September 22, 2004, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it would be ideal for the purposes I need it for (cheap range usage) I have handguns for my home protection, so thats not really an issue. Thanks for the advice on the aftermarket mags, Ill definately steer clear of them! I think I am going to pay for the rifle this Friday, which means I wont get it for 10 days.... BTW, how much is the trigger mod that you mentioned. This will be my first Rifle, so im kinda in the dark about what I need to do. Again, thanks for the help

durt_b1ker
September 22, 2004, 11:44 AM
It's cheap, accurate enough for plinking, takes some of the cheapest ammo around, and is stone reliable. It is heavy. But it's so friendly to shoot that it feels like a caddillac. Nice soft recoil.

jefnvk
September 22, 2004, 03:22 PM
I love mine. I've never shot over 25 yards with it, but at 25 yards, it will put a big ragged hole in the middle of the paper.. Its a great attention getter at the range too, everyone has to look at it!

P.S. The grenade launcher is great fun too :D

saands
September 22, 2004, 05:26 PM
For a trigger job on your existing trigger, see: http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9846&highlight=kivaari This gentleman has a great reputation over at Survivor's SKS borad and that is the route I would go if I didn't do my own.

The Yugo is NOT the only CA legal SKS ... in fact it is NOT CA legal unless the grenade launcher is modified. I can't for the life of me figure out how they can modify the GL without violating 922(r), but they seem to do it. You can get a Romanian, and Albanian or a Russian in CA without any issues. The Pre-1955 Russians can even be had on a C&R FFL if you had one. NONE of the SKS's can be purchased in or imported into CA with a detachable mag, however, so in addition to being of dubious quality, they are a felony no-no.

Saands

FF1090
September 22, 2004, 05:31 PM
My Yugo has surprised me with it's accuracy, using the right ammo.
With a 6X42 scope and the gas valve "off", shooting from a rest, using either Rem/UMC or Winchester commercial ammo - it'll do 1.5" groups at 100 yards.
Using the cheapo Wolf ammo - the groups are about 6". Good Russian white-box and the old East German ammo will do 2 to 3 inches. Chinese Norinco ammo - "Faggitaboutit!" Lousy stuff.

For fun blastin', use the cheap stuff. When the shooting counts, use the good stuff! :cool:

The Yugo easily outshoots my Norinco SKS. The difference in the feel is like two totally different rifles.
On a bipod with the scope on, I call my Yugo my "Poorman's M1A!" :D

FallenPhoenix
September 22, 2004, 05:50 PM
Big 5 has a Yugo SKS in the newspaper ad for $159, it's tempting but I'm still holding out for a nice bolt action rifle.

ConfinedbytheCurtain
September 22, 2004, 06:11 PM
159? Thats pretty cheap! Turners had some for 219. I think i am going to get one very soon...

Casp_A
September 22, 2004, 06:25 PM
:eek: Well I sure hope that Yugos aren't the only CA-legal SKSs, being that I have a Chinese one. :D

And and love it by the way.

Destructo6
September 22, 2004, 07:09 PM
For some reason, the Chinese SKS inhabits a special dark place in the hearts of CA gun prohibitionists. Why, I don't know, but there's enough jumbled laws that would make me shy away from one.

I can't say enough good things about my Yugo SKS, purchased from Turners a few years ago. It was purchased to use up all of the 7.62x39 ammo that I had laying around and was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy, ease of use, and general fun experienced with it.

dfaugh
September 22, 2004, 07:13 PM
but I can't tell you how its shoots...too pretty (so far) don't wanna get it dirty :rolleyes: ....But my other SKS is pretty accurate, even with the dreaded Wolf ammo (in fact that's all I've ever put through it.

jefnvk
September 22, 2004, 09:43 PM
paid $129 for an unissued one
Not bad. Mine was $189 out the door, with 5 boxes of ammo. If I may ask, did yours have the logbook?

stryke
January 13, 2006, 02:09 AM
lima ohio tri state gun show got mine for $100.00 out the door. yugo-- tricked it out shots great..I use the poly. detacheble clips and have had no problems.

Drakejake
January 13, 2006, 08:46 AM
I paid Aim Surplus $140 for my SKS (C&R). It was unissued. The steel was perfect, just a few minor handling and storage marks on the stock. After getting the grease off the stock, I used some fine sandpaper and mineral oil. Now it is smooth and looks fairly good. These rifles are excellent values. Since I bought C&R, I am leaving all the military accessories (folding bayonet, etc.) on it.

Drakejake

Chris Phelps
January 13, 2006, 08:53 AM
Centerfire Systems has a yugo SKS for $99.97, but they won't ship to CA.

Yugo SKS (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=SKSGUN08&Category_Code=SKSGUN)

SavageCheesecake
January 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yugo 59s are California legal, but Yugo 59/66s are NOT. Yugo 59s are almost exact copies of the Soviet SKS-45s. Compare here on SOG: Southern Ohio Gun (http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplusrifles.html) (SOG still refuses sales of 59s to Cali residents, though they ought to be legal). All other SKSs besides the 59/66 should be Cali legal. Yugo 59/66s are regarded as destructive devices according to California law because of the grenade launcher (even though its just a metal tube).

jayhway
January 13, 2006, 12:22 PM
You can buy 59/66's in CA with a C&R FFL, as long as the company has removed the grenade launcher. Interordnance and Classic Arms will sell CA modified 59/66's to CA C&R's. They've contacted the ATF and CA DOJ about the matter and have the OK.

Merkaba
January 17, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm also thinking about buying a Yugo SKS.
I have read the bores are not chrome plated and need to be oiled unlike chrome plated bores.

I've also read they are more difficult/time consuming to clean.
How do you Yugo SKS owners feel about the bores ? Do you find them harder than other SKS models to clean ?

Limeyfellow
January 17, 2006, 09:41 PM
The Yugo barrels are not chromed but don't need to be oiled for shooting. It just helps to keep rust out of them for storage. About the only downside of not having the chrome is it might take a few minutes longer to clean and if you are out in the jungle for weeks at a hand without cleaning you might get a jam. Otherwise its not much of a problem.

dad23honu
January 17, 2006, 09:47 PM
Love my Yugo SKS. Don't let the price fool you. The price is low not because it's a cheap gun; but because there are so many of them on the market.

Jump on it. You'll be glad you did. This was my second gun and knowing nothing about guns a few months ago, I was able to strip it down and put it back together in a matter of minutes. It's a real ego booster if you know nothing about rifles.

Shoots great! Fist sized groups at 50 yards and at the 40 yard tin-can range, bottles and cans FLY ! :D

I've left the pig-sticker on mine because it looks kinda cool. I agree, it is front heavy....but, I like a little heft on my guns.

Recoil is quite nice. My 10 year old loves shooting it. Get it. You won't regret it!

adephue
January 18, 2006, 05:50 PM
I bought a 59/66A1 used for about $180.00. It came with a folding stock, scope, bayonet, grenade launcher, and 30 rd detachable magazine. I feel like it was a good deal although from what I have read I may need to de-modify it to keep it legal (not sure why I was able to buy in this configuration to begin with). Anyway, the weapon is fun as hell to shoot. Don't plan on putting two or three rounds in the same hole at 100 yards but it is reasonably accurate. The Yugo's non-chrome barrell was a challenge at first to get clean. I ended up using bore foam and a bore snake to get it clean but it still took a while. I was reading this morning in the Shotgun News and would almost promise that I saw some new and unissued Yugo's for about $150.00. My recomendation would be to buy one in stock configuration if you can. The hi-cap magazine is fun but I haven't been to the range once where I wasn't removing the reciever cover to dislodge a stove pipe jam. I'm thinking about getting an unissued one myself. For what you pay, you will get a great rifle.

joab
January 18, 2006, 05:53 PM
not sure why I was able to buy in this configuration to begin withIt may have the correct amount of USA parts or the seller didn't know any better.
I didn't until I came here to show off my creation.

The mag alone is three compliance part and the stock is either two or three more. If the piston and op rod are American made you should be compliant