PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster M-4

skt666
September 21, 2004, 10:39 PM
i want a bushmaster M-4. Anybodyout there own one? are they as reliable as the ak? what are prois and cons. i want one with a telescoping buttstock, any atvandge-disadvantages to these? whats the recoil like? this will be a fun gun for the range and i want my fiance to enjoy it. she handdles the 7.62x 39 quite well, is .556 the same? finally, is there a better brand besides bushmaster that makes one of these babys? finally, whats a fair price for a new in the box? thanks fellas

Tallbill
September 21, 2004, 10:59 PM
Well, I cant say specifics about the Bushmaster M4, but I happen to carry around a Colt M4 every day. The telescoping buttstock is awesome. It allows you to bring the rifle in to where its comfortable on your shoulder. Even though I'm a tall man with long arms, I bring the buttstock almost all the way in. It brings the sights closer to my face which allows for better visualization of the sights, and makes it more comfortable to hold up especially when standing for a long period. I'd suggest getting the forward handle which helps greatly in gripping the shorter weapon. Recoil is a bit more then say an M16 because the buttstock forces a shorter recoil spring, but is still very light. I've never had a sore shoulder or anything like that after firing. Your lady will be able to handle with ease. As for price, I cant help there either since mines govt. issue :D

swingset
September 22, 2004, 03:27 AM
$800-$850 is fair for the Bushy M4gery

No, they're not as reliable as an AK. Not much is. They require cleaning (hehe). Take reasonable care of it, and it'll run like a swiss watch. Bushmaster makes an excellent gun, both mine have been flawless.

The .223 is similar to the 762x39, faster and lighter but in the ballpark as far as felt recoil goes. More accurate than an AK by a long shot tho, there is the principal benefit of the AR platform, as well as great ergos and sights. And, of course, modularity.

nssa4914
September 22, 2004, 07:49 AM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Bushmaster_Sunset_Rifles___Preban_features_.html

nssa4914
September 22, 2004, 07:51 AM
My personal favorites: Once at the site click on complete rifles.

http://www.rbprecision.com/id19.htm

I have the Elite CAR A4

Erich
September 22, 2004, 09:34 AM
I own a Bushmaster M4gery, with the 14.5" bbl and the permanently attached mini-Y comp. It has been a good, reliable gun. I had to tighten the screws on the gas key on the bolt once to fix short-cycling problems, but other than that it's been as reliable as an AK. (ARs work, and they're easy to diagnose and fix in the rare instances when they don't.)

Collapsing stock is useful in that the A2 stock is a little long for most people except when firing prone (something I find I don't do too much with an AR . . . :rolleyes: ). It allows the thing to be fit better to each user, though there is some concern (by informed folks like Clint Smith) that the collapsing stocks are weaker. I have one, and I'm happy with it. Collapsing stocks also make storage easier, at least for me.

Recoil is minimal to non-existent: it's a 5.56x45 that's gas-operated, for Heaven's sake. :) I would be surprised if your fiancée found it problematic. If you get the version with the mini-Y comp, however, anticipate that muzzle blast will be quite offensive to folks on the benches on either side of you.

Having managed a gun store and discussed this with the guys at the DOE's central training academy in ABQ, I don't think there's a better brand than Bushmaster . . . though Colt and RRA might be as good. I think $850 is a good price for a Bushie M4gery.