PDA

View Full Version : WSM: Why not the 7mm?

Rhino48
September 21, 2004, 11:49 AM
I was thinking of getting a WSM rifle, and had kind of settled on the 7mm with the little data in my brain. I figured with the wide array of bullets available for the 7mm, compared to say the 270, it would be more popular than the 270. This appears to not be the case.

Is the 7mm WSM not living up to it's potential? I've heard it's a match for the 7mm Rem. Mag, is this not true?

Local dealer even goes so far as to say the 7mm will die, and although gun store experts around here are far from geniuses, he's basing his info. on sales volume of the WSM line.

What's the deal?

Tom Matiska
September 21, 2004, 12:19 PM
I started off thinking 7mm WSM and now I am thinking 25 WSSM.

"...wide array of bullets...." isn't what is was years ago. I used to have an excuse to load everything from plinkers to moose bullets for my 308, but now that I'm getting old and lazy one lighter Ballistic Tip and one heavier Partition covers everything.

I think the 243/25/270/7MM/30 WSM's are all too close with too many good bullets that they might be hurting each others sales. Nobody will miss if one or two drops off the market. A larger WSM would be interesting. 8MM or 358 maybe???

I coud see a 25 WSSM and a 358 WSM reducing my current favorites to backup status.

LAK
September 22, 2004, 03:48 AM
Tom MatiskaI think the 243/25/270/7MM/30 WSM's are all too close with too many good bullets that they might be hurting each others sales. Nobody will miss if one or two drops off the market. A larger WSM would be interesting. 8MM or 358 maybe???
I coud see a 25 WSSM and a 358 WSM reducing my current favorites to backup status.

While personally I see these as largely a marketing exercize, I do see a .350 WSM. Right up against the 350 Rem. Mag. From what I have seen, Remington's 8mm has been a flop. Good cartridge no doubt, but hasn't caught on, so an 8 WSM isn't likely to overcome the 8mm stigma (whatever it is).

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 22, 2004, 09:50 AM
The next logical number in the line up would be the .338WSM.

I think people mostly associate the 7mm with Remington----and the .270 and .30 with Winchester.

Might want to see what the sales of Remington 7mm Shorty are-----and then base your choice from there.

BusGunner007
September 22, 2004, 11:43 PM
I think your Dealer is dealing you a load of crap...don't buy it from him!

I think he's trying to sell you a new rifle in the WSM line...maybe they're not moving for him as fast as he'd have you think they are...

MAYBE you should offer him a sum of money substantially LESS than the going rate for a 7mm Remington Magnum rifle --- you know, since they're almost dead already... :rolleyes:

I also think the comment about the caliber associations was dead-on.

I can see the WINchester boyz going for the .270 WSM...Jack O'Connor, etc.

Remington is 'The 7mm Company'.
My choice would be the 7mm RSAUM in a Model 7.
I have two 7mm Rem.Mag. rifles already, though!

Good Luck.

Rhino48
September 23, 2004, 02:56 PM
What the dealer is getting at is that they sell a pile of 300 WSM's and 270 WSM's but hardly any 7mm WSM's. He meant 7mm WSM will die not the Rem. Mag.

This particular dealer is a big chain store and they don't deal on prices, and the guy knows I only buy guns from them if they are on super sale, so I don't believe he's jerkin' my chain. The conversation started when I asked why he didn't have any 7mm WSM's on the shelf.

BusGunner007
September 24, 2004, 07:04 AM
Oh. :o
Well, in that case he's probably right, then.

dfaugh
September 24, 2004, 07:15 AM
the only ones I see on the shelves are .270 and .300...With so many different calibers, that overlap in performance, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a couple of them died along the way. Most people I heard anything about these from, opted for the .300, largest choice of bullets (and a little more punch than .270). I would opt for that myself if/when looking for a new rifle (not in cards right now) and I was always a fan of the original .270.