PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Neat accessory for Rem 700 SA - The ArmsTech Mag-Xtender

Gewehr98
September 20, 2004, 11:12 PM
I found one of these a while ago, and finally decided to install it last weekend. You've all seen the M14/M1A magazine conversions for the Remington 700 Short Action rifles in .308, right? Here's an extended floorplate for the 700 SA that brings the magazine capacity up to 7 rounds of .308, or 9 rounds of .223. It's made by ArmsTech Ltd, the same folks who sell neat stuff to the DoD - like those remanufactured .300 Win Mag Interdiction Rifles based on the Browning BAR sporting rifle. The Mag-Xtender sells for $26.95, try www.floridagunworks.com as a source for the item.

I was a bit leery of buying and installing this thing, until I got a good close look at it. Although it's made of Zytel, it's fairly stout, and has a solid lockup into the floorplate release catch. Installation is a breeze, simply loosen the action screws and remove the trigger guard assembly. Press out the front floorplate hinge pin, remove the floorplate, swap the follower and follower spring into the new mag extender's spring retainer (very tight fit), then install the mag extender into the trigger guard using the old floorplate hinge pin. The floorplate goes back into the gun, tighten up the action screws to your favorite torque setting, and Voila'! If you have a .223 Remington 700, slide the steel cartridge stop plate into the dovetail provided inside the mag extender. Otherwise, that's all there is to it!

Truthfully, I was somewhat concerned that the extra depth of the new floorplate extension would weaken the follower spring and follower tension when just one or two rounds are loaded in the rifle. Not so - they feed and function just as well as they did with the original Remington floorplate.

So it functions as advertised, but how's it look? Here it is on my Remington 700PSS, where it will probably remain for good:

http://mauser98.com/magextender2.jpg

Opened up:

http://mauser98.com/magextender4.jpg

Different angle:

http://mauser98.com/magextender5.jpg

Handy
September 20, 2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the interesting review. Seems like just the thing for something 'scout riflish'. Not too shabby looking, either. The price might be a little high, but I guess you're paying for unique ingenuity, not nylon.

I was aware of the M-14 mag mods, but hadn't heard of the BAR mods, nor was I able to find anything about Arms Tech. Would you happen to have a link?

Gewehr98
September 21, 2004, 08:08 PM
Thought about some plastic primer and a shot of flat black to make it match the trigger guard better, but I don't know which paints are reactive with Zytel, and I don't feel like dissolving it after I just installed it.

ArmsTech doesn't exactly maintain a public profile, and is very tight-lipped, even their website ceased to exist after a while. First time I heard of them was when I was "invited" to KFOR in Bosnia, and saw some of our Army folks carrying the heavily modified Browning BARs around, working over the snipers who had previously been picking folks off from the apartment high-rises in Sarajevo. I managed to talk to them for a little while before I had to break off and resume my duties of looking for illicit mass graves - a job that still brings me nightmares from time to time.

Turns out the Army bought a handful of these .300 Win Mag bad boys from ArmsTech, and the contract ended there. They have new heavy stainless steel barrels, McMillan stocks, and are configured to use the original M1918 BAR 20-round magazines. They're called Interdiction Rifles, and have a greater effective range than the 7.62mm NATO round, or the 7.62x54R Moisin-Nagant round of the SVD Dragunov used by the enemy snipers. So you have an accurate, long-range rifle, capable of quick follow-on shots, perfect for multiple counter-sniper engagements. Here's a picture of the issued gun:

http://mauser98.com/interdiction.jpg

Here are the specs:

Arms Tech 0.300 Winchester Magnum Super Match Interdiction Rifle Development

The Arms Tech Super Match Interdiction rifle was developed as a private venture by Arms Tech. It was to fill a need for a precision rifle as accurate as a bolt-action rifle, able to reach targets beyond the range of standard 7.62 × 51mm weapons, and providing a quick follow-up shot capability, for tactical situations requiring the engagement of multiple targets.

Description

The Super Match Interdiction rifle is based on an extensively modified FN HERSTAL BAR semi-automatic sporting rifle. Stainless steel barrels are by either Douglas or Schneider, are fully free floated for accuracy and are blackened by a chrome sulphide process. Barrels are cryogenically treated to enhance accuracy and extend service life. The barrels are threaded to accept a sound suppressor. In the absence of a suppressor, a cap is screwed onto the muzzle to prevent damage.
Extraction has been improved for strength and reliability. For cold weather operations, the charging handle has been extended. Locking lug recesses, integral to the barrel in standard rifles, have been replaced by a proprietary carbon steel shank to improve reliability and strength. The bolt is lapped for smooth operation. The magazine release has been changed to one similar to a Kalashnikov type. Stocks are by McMillan (Harris Gun Works) and each action is custom-bedded using a powdered metal-filled epoxy compound.
The rifle incorporates an Arms Tech proprietary telescope mounting system that allows optics to be removed and replaced without loss of zero. The Super Match Rifle is warranted by the manufacturer to shoot with sub-minute of angle accuracy over its effective range.

Specifications

Cartridge: 0.300 Winchester Magnum
Operation: gas, semi-automatic
Locking: rotating bolt
Feed: 3- or 10-round detachable box magazine
Weight: empty, 6.3kg
Length: 1.193m
Barrel: 660mm
Rifling: 6 grooves, rh, 1 turn in 304mm
Sights: optical, to customer specifications
Muzzle velocity: 971m/s
Rate of fire: 3-4rds/min
Effective range: 1,000m

Manufacturer

Arms Tech Limited

5133 North Central, Phoenix, Arizona.

Status

In production.

Service

Unspecified special operations forces.

BusGunner007
September 21, 2004, 11:31 PM
I was fortunate to have gotten a flyer and price schedule from these 'quiet type' guys a few years ago during my FFL days.

The rifle at the time was called the 'INTERDICTION' model, with various options, but it looks pretty much like the one you've posted.
I began to search for their 'site' when I got a computer, but they'd kind of dropped off the radar... ;)

Really cool BAR, and not much of it is 'Browning' when they get done!

Handy
September 22, 2004, 12:09 AM
Well, that certainly speaks well of the basic BAR as a reliable field rifle.

G, I'm willing to bet that the Krylon spray paint made for plastics would be a good bet.

You might also consider doing what many HK SL8 owners do - use Rit dye to color or darken the plastic. If that doesn't turn out, you've always got the paint as a backup.

I don't so much mind the fiberous zytel. It looks all business. Shame no one isn't casting a similar part out of aluminum, though. That would be tougher in the field and take a nice hard anodizing.

BusGunner007
September 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
RIT dye? :eek:
What's the procedure for that?
Sounds like a cool idea for plastic, maybe even wood for an AK project...

Handy
September 22, 2004, 03:08 PM
You can find the dye procedure on HK91.com or HKPRO.com.

I don't think using a hot water dye on wood is a good idea - on any water for that matter. You might want to try this stuff called "stain", which is made to color wood without damage. ;)

BusGunner007
September 22, 2004, 11:32 PM
I think I read on AK-47.net where somebody used RIT dye on the stocks to emulate the 'Plum' finish so highly regarded by some folks.
I hope they didn't use it HOT! Then again, it's an AK!

Thanks for the tip, though... :D

Gewehr98
September 30, 2004, 10:13 PM
I bought some of the satin black Krylon Fusion paint, made for plastics. As I was waiting out Hurricane Jeanne in our motel room, I gave it a shot. The stuff worked like a charm, it matches the finish Remington used on their aluminum triggerguard/floorplate assembly. :D