PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Model of the 1911

CSG
November 25, 1999, 11:06 AM
I remember not buying one of these 7-8 years ago when everyone had them for $200-225. It didn't seem like a good idea at the time :(

What are they worth now, NIB? A local dealer has one tucked away in one of his guncases for about $375-80 for a cash price. As I'm looking for a basic mil-spec version of a 1911 and the only other one I can find new these days is a Springfield for closer to $500, how does that price sound?

Are the Norincos as good as I've heard? They do have a poor looking grip but that's an easy upgrade!

[This message has been edited by CSG (edited November 25, 1999).]

beemerb
November 25, 1999, 11:25 AM
They are in the ballpark on the price from what I have seen.A friend has built a lot of them and tells me they are as good if not better then colt.His opinion.I don't want to get a flame war started here.
Bob

JERKY
November 25, 1999, 11:36 AM
I have a norinco 7.62mm sittin right here next to me. Although it looks like hell and the trigger feels like something tyco made, it has never failed to fire. They arent the best quality in the world but they are dependable. As far as accuracy, its hard to get a full mag within a 5 inch group at 25yrds. it seems to be a bit squrrely and hard to keep consistant. The sights are horrible and as you said the grips are cheap plastic with no design on them. this gun ran $100 NIB with 3 mags. Its fun to shoot and the price is right. Ive never seen the 45 clone so i cant say. I just thought i'd give u my input on the norinco since not many people have them.

Good day !

------------------
TIM : )

CSG
November 25, 1999, 11:42 AM
Jerky,

Check your email.

4V50 Gary
November 25, 1999, 12:24 PM
I'd take the Norinco over the Llama or Auto Ordnance 1911 any day. The metallurgy is better on Norinco and they forge their parts. The Norinco is a good basis upon which a custom gun may be built.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Jim V
November 25, 1999, 07:35 PM
I have a Norinco Model of 1911 that is my everyday, help keep this ol' chubby guy alive, carry pistol. I replaced the stocks, springs, added MMC sights, extended thumb safety and grip safety. It has only bobbled with Wilson mags. (My old 1911 did not like the Wilson mags either)

I would like to find another Norinco 1911 to fix up the same way. When they were common a good number of the name pistolsmiths used them as the basis for their big $ pistols.

Buy it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

CSG
November 25, 1999, 10:31 PM
Jim V.,

If I don't buy it, I'll send you the store name/phone if you email me.

HS
November 26, 1999, 07:36 AM
Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jim....
Why didn't you ask me ? ;)
Norinco Model 1911A1 Pistol, .45ACP, 5" Blue,tuned, custom, excellent. $329.00
http://www.pheasantridgeguns.com/inventory.htm
Norinco 45 caliber $400.00 NIB, never been shot Norinco model 45. Banned from import in 1994. Comes with box, two mags, manual, and cleaning rod. Send to FFL dealer only. Buyer pays for shipping.
Phone: (972) 943-9032
Seller: Doug Nickerson
Mail: [email protected]
Norinco 1991 A1 $389.00 45 cal. Solid guide rod and custom target trigger. 85%
Phone: (317) 248-8251
Seller: SHOE'S GUN RACK
Address: 1008 Main St.
Speedway, IN 46224
1911 A1 Military $400.00 Colt - Remington Rand 1911A1, Manufactured 1943, one of those ,WAR, prizes my father acquired 1911 AI MILITARY SERIES 45 ACP 16295** $ 400.00
Phone: (503) 807-5570
Seller: Bill Jones
FAX: (503) 697-3337
Gov,t or Commander $400.00 I have a set of African Ivory Grips to fit a Colt Gov,t or Commander, they are like new and have a Colt Silver Medallion. Would be a beautiful addition to your Colt. $400.00 Incl shipping
Seller: Terrell Austin Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: $15 Per Item
Electronic Mail: [email protected]

Phone: (361) 293-2270
You've tried the rest - Other Sites
Now try the best - Me !...LOL ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

Wild Child
December 1, 1999, 11:32 AM
I just got a used one for $249. Haven't shot it yet .I plan on using it to build a gun on.I have read alot of people have done this.

James K
December 1, 1999, 11:42 AM
FWIW, got a used "Model of the 1911A1" Norinco a few months ago and have now put about 750 rounds (mostly ball, but some others) through it with NO malfunctions. Used both Norinco and GI magazines. No discernable wear. Good accuracy (5" at 25 yds). Nothing fancy, no add ons. Commie or not, it is a good one.

Jim

devious1480
December 17, 2010, 02:39 PM
i have had my norinco 1911a1 for about 5 years now and have put over 3000 rounds through it...i only paid $2.99 for mine (long story)...i had a colt years ago and have found the norinco to be a close competitor...it is just as acurate and like the colt the rounds will kick high and left so its easy to anticipate the variance...if you have a chance to buy one i would highly recommend it.

Alden
December 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
Wow! Way to resurrect an 11 year old thread!

I had one about 12 years ago and it was a keeper. Reliable as anything, relatively accurate, good steel. I had it blued and put on some rosewood grips and new sights and it was a beauty.

Don't remember why I didn't keep it. Probably sold it or traded it for something else I just HAD TO HAVE at that time.

James K
December 17, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have two Norincos, one with 8500 logged rounds through it and one with 3000 through it, with NO failures of any kind. That is 0, zero, none. No broken parts and no replaced parts. The springs are as good as the day they were made. I fired mostly Hungarian ball, but some GI ball and Remington Golden Sabre.

One is in near me right now, fully loaded. I think I can trust it.

Jim

Amin Parker
December 17, 2010, 06:55 PM
I have 2 heavily customised ones i use for Bowling Pin Shooting. They serve me very well and im happy with them. Very accurate, reliable and tough.

My 3rd one is stock and basicaly new. I keep it for occasional home defence

orionengnr
December 17, 2010, 08:01 PM
A new record in thread necrophelia.
Eleven years plus.
And as always, a first time poster.
Never have been able to figure out why that is...
Eleven years later, a Nork for $300 is unheard of. Finding one for $400 these days is a steal.

Alden
December 17, 2010, 08:03 PM
A new record in thread necrophilia :eek:

HawkeyeNRAlifer
December 17, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'll jump in, since this thread won't stay dead. Bought mine in the early '90s for $325. Changed out a few parts and it's been the most accurate .45 I've owned. Back then I bought Norinco mac 90's for $189 and a sks went for $89. Those were the days before they shut the door on Chinese firearms.

Mike38
December 17, 2010, 11:36 PM
Back when I shot bullseye pistol competitively, a guy that is ranked High Master told me about his two M1911’s built up for competition. A Colt Series 70 and a Norinco M1911 clone. Same thing done to both pistols, same prices for the accurization. He switched back and forth between pistols the first year or so. He settled on the Norinco as the primary pistol and the Colt as a back up. He had this done something like 20 years ago. I've heard the newer Norinco's that came in right before the import ban were of a lesser quality, but still very good.

SVO
December 18, 2010, 03:13 AM
I have one that I bought back in '93 along with a bunch of Norinco magazines. Never had a problem with the pistol or the magazines.

Amin Parker
December 18, 2010, 05:40 AM
Its amazing how i became a fan of these pistols, being a gun snob and all.

I used to shoot Glock 21, Colt series 70, Remington 1911 in most events in competition. I bought 2 Norincos. A 1911 and a tokarev knock off 9mm so i could test reloads in. I did this because, even though i am very careful, was busy doing testing to find the ultimate Bowling Pin load.

That 1911 replaced all others and i have been using it and another norinco exclusively for competition and practice since 1999. In the time it has seen extremely heavy loads and lots and lots of them.
I always check all the parts when cleaning after a competition and it does not seem like the gun had any wear at all. The barrel still looks brand new to be honest.

One heck of a pistol. I still have all my other guns, this one just works the best.

rkammer
December 18, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'd just about forgotten the Nork I sold about 5 years ago. It wasn't only the best $300 gun I ever had, it was a great gun at any price. I may have to just look for another one but doubt I'll get close to $300 this time around. :D

My Norinco has the basic add-ons like magwell, grips, sights, thumb safety, etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Raykamm/Guns/NorincoSA2.jpg

10mm4ever
December 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
It's the type of steel used that really sets them apart. They were forged from railroad steel. Some smiths wont work on them due to the hardness. Never had a single problem with any Norinco and that ridiculous ban prevented alot of people on a limited budget from getting alot more for their money than most of the junk out there at comparable prices.