PDA

View Full Version : What kind of guns can I get in Nevada?

Tim Currie
November 14, 2002, 04:30 PM
So my Mom is moving across the border very soon and into NV. I plan on keeping some cool weapons there eventually. What can I or cant I have over there? Right now I am in CA so you know....

Thanks.

anonymouse1940
November 14, 2002, 04:37 PM
As a citizen and resident of California you are bound by California law. Sorry. You are not allowed to purchase a handgun in another state without going through the California process before taking legal posession of it. There are few if any loopholes legally, part and parcel of being a California legal resident.

braindead0
November 14, 2002, 04:38 PM
That's why Mom buys it, 'owns it' and you shoot it!

anonymouse1940
November 14, 2002, 04:47 PM
Then he needs to rephrase his question and take out all the "I"s. Shows criminal intent on his part to knowingly break California resident purchase and registration requirements. Sorry, but investigators do read the site here. You have to be extra carefull these days, what you say can and will be used against you.
I'm not paranoid, just trying to stay prosecution free.

November 14, 2002, 05:23 PM
I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know, you can buy rifles and shotguns including all the stuff that is banned in the peoples republic. You can not buy handguns unless you are a legal resident of the state where you are making the purchase. This has nothing to do with Kalifornia, it applies to everyone. I can't buy a handgun in Arizona as a Nevada resident for example.
As a Nevada resident, your mother can buy virtually any small arm ever made if she has the money including REAL assult rifles, heavy machine guns, crew served weapons, suppressors...............
Once you get a taste of real freedom, you will never be happy under the thumb of a komissar. If you decide to stay, just remember why you left. Nevada doesn't want ANY kalifornia ideas smuggled into this free state. Clense your mind of ALL that rot before you cross the boarder.

Pendragon
November 14, 2002, 05:35 PM
I dont think that having your mom in NV buy and AR15 and KEEP IT AT HER HOUSE IN NEVADA is a crime.

Are they going to get her on a straw purchase?

Can you imagine how that would play for a jury or grand jury?

"let me get this strait - the mom bought the gun...for the son...but the mom keeps the gun at her house...where it is legal to do so...and the crime here is...?"

Just dont run off with your moms assault weapons and everything will be fine :)

Kharn
November 14, 2002, 05:49 PM
You can get dual residency (ATF standard is at least one weekend a month at a location and you technically live there for the purposes of buying guns). You would be able to get a Nevada state ID card (if they offer them, they are intended for people that cant drive) and still keep your California driver's license. Typical requirements are something like two bills with the same address on it, so pay your mom's cable bill, get a credit card bill mailed to her house and spend a weekend there on occasion and you're set. But the "evil" guns can never follow you back to California.

Kharn

Tim Currie
November 14, 2002, 06:11 PM
You can get dual residency (ATF standard is at least one weekend a month at a location and you technically live there for the purposes of buying guns). You would be able to get a Nevada state ID card (if they offer them, they are intended for people that cant drive) and still keep your California driver's license. Typical requirements are something like two bills with the same address on it, so pay your mom's cable bill, get a credit card bill mailed to her house and spend a weekend there on occasion and you're set. But the "evil" guns can never follow you back to California.

Now thats along the lines I was thinking of.

I never planned on just buying guns over there and taking them back here. Also, rifles are pretty much all I was interested in...... Ak, AR-15.... I am thinking....

Bill R
November 14, 2002, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure if they still have it but Nevada used to have a Seasonal ID card for part time residents.

Trevor
November 14, 2002, 08:56 PM
Under Nevada, California, and Federal laws, it is illegal for Nevadans (private parties or licensed dealers) to sell any firearm to someone from California. You will need to establish Nevada residency under both state and federal guidelines to buy something legally. Here in Reno, licensed dealers no longer accept the state ID card as evidence that you have established Nevada residency. Follow the rules. Be safe. Be happy.

Ought Six
November 14, 2002, 09:11 PM
Also, Front Sight Institute offers an inexpensive gun vault service. You can store your guns there, and shoot them whenever you go there at their world-class shooting facilities. They will give you FREE long-term storage for your weapons if you sign up for one of their firearms training courses. And they even offer a FREE submachinegun course, ammo included. And they're an hour closer to the Cali border (aka 'behind The Tofu Curtain') than Vegas is.

Gun storage deals:

http://www.frontsight.com/store_guns.htm

Free submachinegun course:

http://www.frontsight.com/1day_smg_course.htm

November 14, 2002, 09:22 PM
Trevor
I had never heard that before. If that is true, I stand corrected. This must be a fairly recent turn of events.

Mute
November 15, 2002, 01:13 PM
Good news. Nevada is a Class III legal state. MP5SD3 anyone?

November 15, 2002, 09:53 PM
Let me repeat; "As a Nevada resident, your mother can buy virtually any small arm ever made if she has the money including REAL assult rifles, heavy machine guns, crew served weapons, suppressors............... "

I was not trying to be funny in the least.

cosmos7
November 16, 2002, 01:28 AM
How does one go about getting dual residency? Is it just Nevada? I actually wanted to have dual residency - CA and WA... Just never knew how to go about it.