View Full Version : 1851 Colt revolver

November 6, 2002, 06:09 PM
I'm leaning real hard towards getting a Uberti 1851 Colt but need a little history lesson here.. The 1851 is available in two different trigger guards, one is a round one and the other has a squared back end. Whats the story between the two? Which is the most comfortable? Thanks Gents!

Bill Mitchell
November 6, 2002, 06:32 PM
The first 4000 or so had the square trigger guard. The remaining 200,000+ had a round trigger guard. Both the square and round trigger guards had large and small versions, so there's actually 4 different trigger guard types. I can't imagine that it makes much of difference in feel or shooting comfort. I would go with the one you like the best!

Jim Watson
November 6, 2002, 06:41 PM
I have a small square. It is *tight* (but the price was right.)
I would get a large round if I had the choice, I think that would be the closest to a SAA.

Alex Johnson
November 6, 2002, 09:54 PM
Whatever one you get they they will all shoot high, I had a chance to view a pair of 1851's belived to be owned by Samuel Colt and these were fitted with a higher site that was dovetailed into the barrel, apparently the meister himself wanted to be able to hit something.