PDA

View Full Version : Steyr SBS Tactical HB

barryf
February 25, 2000, 07:12 PM
I'm looking for a long range rifle in 308. I was thinking of the Remington 700PPS but that are hard to find right now. I saw the Steyr (NIB)at a local gunshop for $799. I have no experence with this weapon and could use a little help.:confused Tell me what ya'll think.
Thanks

One
February 25, 2000, 11:35 PM
Stick with the Remington. If you want one now, you could go with the 700 VS Fluted barrel. This utilizes the same action as the PSS just a bull barrel with fluting. Or you could find a 700 VS which is the exact same action as the PSS, just in a different H&S stock. I have had one of the VS guns and it shoots as well and on some days better than a friends PSS. Not too long ago I got antsy and thought I needed a new long range rifle. I acquired a Steyr SSG and sold my Remington 700 VS. What a mistake. I hated the Steyr and could not shoot it to save my life. As luck would have it, I got rid of the Steyr, and the guy that bought my Remington has sold it to the shop that I deal with. To make a long story short, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Do not let anyone tell you that a Remington 700 is inferior to another design ie the Steyr. These weapons will perform.

Be Safe
Mike

rhetor
February 26, 2000, 11:22 AM
I would have to recommnd that you seriously consider the Steyr option. I recently purchased an SSG PIIK, and the performance of this gun has been nothing short of remarkable. After 5 shots to zero in the Sawarovski scope, the first two five shot groups at 100 yards were in one hole. This was with moly coated 168gr.match Sierras. It's pretty much a waste of time to shoot this rig at 100 yards has it appears ready to deliver this kind of sub MOA accuracy all day. Of course the SSG is a different Steyr rifle than the one you are considering. If you want to stay with the SBS line, I suggest you investigate the heavy barreled tactical versions of this model: check GSI's web site to see what's possible.