View Full Version : Terminology: "Lands"?

Art Eatman
October 21, 2002, 11:01 PM
We all know what are "lands" and "grooves" in a barrel's rifling.

"Grooves" seems obvious, but where did the term "Lands" come from?

:confused:, Art

Steven Mace
October 22, 2002, 03:11 AM
Art, the word 'land' from Webster's 1828 Dictionary (

7. The ground left unplowed between furrows, is by some of our farmers called a land.

The word 'groove' is listed in the same dictionary (

1. A furrow, channel, or long hollow cut by a tool. Among joiners, a channel in the edge of a molding, style or rail.

Just my guess.

Steve Mace

October 22, 2002, 04:04 PM
Not to mention if you're out sailing, the "land" is higher than the surrounding water. :)

Art Eatman
October 22, 2002, 08:24 PM
Thanx, Steven; that makes sense.

johnwill, go to your room. Right now.

:), Art

October 23, 2002, 08:53 PM
Johnwill beat me to it.

A canal, as opposed to an aqueduct, is a groove in the land to carry water.

Hence, the land is higher than the water.

Sam, no flooding allowed.

October 24, 2002, 08:39 AM

October 24, 2002, 09:26 PM
There is also the suidae factor.

In Victorian times, the landed gentry lived higher off the hog than the groovy commoners.