View Full Version : Mg's

October 21, 2002, 02:37 PM
I posted the question about post may 1986 weapons and now I know you cant buy them. Now I have to question some what about the same subject. Here the examples.

Say I want an M4 Carbine. I go to the store and buy a semi auto m4 carbine. It was made after 1986. Would it be posible in any way to go to a class 3 dealer and get it changed to be able to fire full auto legally.

Second, I find a semi auto ak47 made before 1986. Can in anyway I get it changed to full auto by a class 3 dealer legally.

These questions have to do with the same thing but with guns made at different times. I don't know if their would be any difference or if one is aloud or both are aloud or neither.

Thx for all you help

October 21, 2002, 03:16 PM
My understanding of US law is that you're SOL; the only way someone can take possession of a post-'86 MG is if they are a manufacturer, a dealer, or a government entity. I don't agree with this BS either.:(

October 21, 2002, 06:24 PM

October 21, 2002, 10:57 PM
It's not when the gun was manufactured, it's when the gun was registered as a Class 3 firearm.

October 21, 2002, 11:37 PM
I think that with the M4, you probably can get a registered auto sear (you go through the same process as a full gun) and have it put in the m4. The auto sear is the part that's considered a 'gun' by itself.

subguns.com may have more info on the registered auto-sear info.

Either way, it's still going to cost you.

October 22, 2002, 03:08 AM
you probably can get a registered auto sear and have it put in the m4.

True but you're going to have to replace a ton of parts. It's cheaper to get the DIAS and build from the ground up. Just get an off the shelf postban lower (some work better than others, Bushmaster is one of the best) and "preban" collapsable stock and buy a machinegun upper. That way you don't have to get a new barrel, stock, bolt carrier, etc etc etc.

New Colts come with a "sear block" which prevent you from installing a DIAS. I say screw em anyway.

4V50 Gary
October 24, 2002, 11:50 PM
If you want an M-4, you buy a registered M-16 and convert it by changing the upper and installing a collaspable stock.

October 25, 2002, 12:52 AM
you buy a registered M-16 and convert it by changing the upper and installing a collaspable stock.

That's what I did!:)


You can possess ONLY machineguns that were manufactured AND registered prior to the 1986 ban. There are still some registered full auto sears floating around. These are classified as machineguns by ATF and are registered as machineguns in the NFA registry.

You can buy a registered M16 and turn it into any configuration you want or you can buy a registered sear and a sem-auto rifle and combine them into the configuration you desire.

You cannot take a semi auto firearm, regardless of it's date of manufacture and have it legally converted to full auto.