PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide how to scope my M1A

AEM
January 27, 2000, 03:00 PM
I bought a new "Loaded" M1A which has a "match" barrel (but apparently in the same contour as the standard barrel), match trigger and match sights. I love it, but I want to scope it. I'm just having a hard time deciding between a Scout type mount vs. a receiver mount.

I bought the rifle largely for the added long range capability over the .223. I don't have the training to really use the iron sights for long range precision shooting, and so when I shoot at anything over about 100 yds I feel that I am not really using the rifle to its full advantage. So I started thinking about scoping it.

On the other hand, I am trying to avoid the temptation to make a sniper rifle out it by buying a $250 Brookfield receiver mount and a $500 Leupold Tactical scope. Besides the money required, I feel I should stick to a bolt gun for really long range precision shooting. Also, I don't want to make the M1A unwieldy at close range with a heavy steel mount and a scope that can't crank lower than 3.5x.

So I'm leaning toward the Springfield Scout Mount and a Burris 2.75x Scout scope in QD rings. I figure this will give me enough scope to clearly see targets at 200-300 yds, and a reticle to aim with, without making the rifle useless at close range or too heavy to lug around.

Another option would be the Springfield 3rd gen. receiver mount and a 1-4x variable.

Any advice or info would be appreciated. I would really like to hear from anyone who has used the M1A Scout model, or the Scout mount on a full length M1A.

Thanks

Kingcreek
January 28, 2000, 12:09 AM
I've had good results with the 3rd gen scope mount. It returns to zero if set up properly at the start.
I suggest you get some help learning the iron sights or sign up for a DCM match where someone would be available to assist you. (A USMC g.sgt. assisted me!) That is half the fun of shooting the M1A/14s
The whole notion that u can float a .30 cal bullet into a bulseye at 1/3 mi with iron sights is good for the self image.

AEM
January 28, 2000, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Kingcreek.

There is a club nearby which holds high power rifle matches at 100 yds (There aren't any formal ranges any longer around where I live), and I do intend to shoot some in it with the iron sights. That's one reason I want to be able to remove the scope easily. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems with the 3rd gen. mount. I have heard some criticism of aluminum mounts as tending to shift zero, but others report no problems.

This forum is a great opportunity to learn from the experience of others before making decisons that are important to how you will be able to use the rifle.

mongrel66
January 28, 2000, 06:15 PM
has anyone tried an arms #18 for a mount??

Kingcreek
January 29, 2000, 08:16 AM
The 3rd gen is the only one I have used.
The key seems to be initial setup with the bushing/spacer. If it is done right there should be no torque or stress on the mount itself and it seats the same way each time it is re-installed.
It's been a long time, but if my memory swerves me (it usually does) the directions were complete. it was one of things that looked simple enough out of the box that I didn't need to read them. fought it, then went back and read the instructions. life is good now.