PDA

View Full Version : Browning T-Bolt .22

1911Heaven
January 24, 2000, 11:22 AM
Do any of you own or have experience with the T-Bolt .22 ? What could you tell me about accuracy,model differences,what they are worth today,etc. Thanks in advance.

Mike Baugh
January 24, 2000, 12:14 PM
I used to have a T2 that I still kick myself for selling . They are extremely accurate . They made a T1 [plain stock] and T2 [checkered stock] , one thing you want to watch is for rust in the barrel channel . Browning used to salt cure some of their stocks and the T Bolt was one that used this "Salt Cured" wood , just remove the action and wipe on some rig . They also made a left handed version . A clean T2 with the sights on it ,a lot of people took off the sights to mount a scope and then lost the sights , is worth around $400, add $50 with the box and manual , I have seen just the box bring $75 . Good luck , Mike...

slickpuppy
January 24, 2000, 09:34 PM
Except for the salt wood they used during the walnut shortage during the 60s they are exceptional. My dad had one when I was a kid and it was an incredible rifle. I believe the earliest models and extreme late models did not have the salt wood. To check, remove the action screws and check for rust. Perhaps one of the Browning experts could give more exact dates on the salt wood. If you can get one like new in the box, go for it. The salt wood was not just in the tbolts. They used it in a variety of their line when FN was doing the manufacturing. I hope Gale can expound on this some. I'm sure he would probably know the dates when they used the stuff.

George Hill
January 25, 2000, 06:03 AM
I had shot the T bolt some time ago. I have not actually seen one for years.
It is an interesting design and worthy of a place in any collection.
I remember it to be a very fine rifle. It was very accurate and functioned smooth like butter.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

1911Heaven
January 25, 2000, 07:30 PM
Per your advice,went ahead and picked one up-still has the original peep sight,although no box-scoped it with a 4x leopold compact & shot it with Federal 711's this afternoon and boy am I pleased-was not able to shoot beyond 25 yds. today but everything going through the same hole.GREAT WOOD,deep red with lots of stripes,rest of the rifle would probably be 98%.Thanks guys!

SIGSHR
September 15, 2005, 01:43 PM
Bought mine 4 years ago, in 30+ years of shooting and visiting gun shops, the
first one I had seen. About 1 year ago, the finish one the stock started to peel, saw signs of rust (I didn't know about the salt cured stocks then). A Cold Winter Night Project will be a new stock for it.

Marcus
September 15, 2005, 08:14 PM
Great little rifles. Top shelf. Anyone know where to find extra magazines though? Marcus

SIGSHR
September 15, 2005, 11:13 PM
Good luck on the magazines. Mine came with a spare, the other 2 I was lucky to find cost a pretty penny, haven't seen any others.