View Full Version : newbie question

September 15, 2002, 05:46 PM
Would someone please explain what are the reqirements if you want to buy a fully automatic weapon. Are there state as well as federal laws? (I guess this question has been asked before, but I couldnt find any posts.)

September 16, 2002, 09:21 AM
First determine if your state allows possession of FA weapons. Some states, Iowa for instance, prohibit possession.
Some states, Michigan is one, only allow Curio & Relic FAs, unless you are a MG dealer.

Then find a gun you want. The dealer should be able to help you with the Federal forms. You need to have the Police Chief in your area sign the form saying you are not a felon, or otherwise banned from owning FAs. You need to be fingerprinted and submit the cards with the application, and have a recent photo to stick to it. I hear there is a new form that must be included swearing that you are a US citizen. Fill out the transfer form completely and send a $200 dollar tax payment with it. Then wait patiently for at least 90 days for the ATF to do its job. A guy I know always has to wait longer than anyone else around here. We can't figure out why.

That is the short form. Dealers can fill you in on anything else when/if you decide to go FA.