View Full Version : NFA FUD questions

August 9, 2002, 12:47 AM
Ok, I normally don't visit the full auto section but after reading that you can get an UZI for about $3000 you've got me curious.:D I've always stayed away from getting the class III stamp because everyone I've talked to made it sound like the ATF will come storming into your house at 4 A.M. and if you don't have the weapon in some sort of magnetic field, nuke won't touch it, God doesn't even know where it is safe then they're going to drag you off to jail. Or, that the ATF can enter your house whenever to inspect the weapon and if you don't have the papers and such it's FUBAR time. So, what exactly does getting the stamp entail and what is the process to take it out to shoot (as in out of state)?


August 9, 2002, 07:06 AM
First, is your state a MG ownership state? Can you own any transferrable MG or are you restricted to Curio & Relics?
Once you have figured that out find a MG dealer in your state and see if he/she will walk you through the process. If you decide to buy expect to wait a long time for the forms to come back from the ATF. You will have to pay a $200 tranfer tax on most FA stuff. You can sometimes put half down on a gun and pay the rest off when the paperwork clears the Feds. That can allow for working a second job to get the dough together.

For more info on all this than I can provide in a post, subscribe to Small Arms Review, www.smallarmsreview.com. Informative articles, lots of dealer ads,lists of dealers, and more. Even just buying one copy would be a plus.

Truth In Posting Notice: I have done some writing for SAR, but would recommend it even if I hadn't.

August 9, 2002, 08:06 PM
I'm in the process of getting one of those $3k Vector Uzis, so I had these exact questions when I was looking into Class 3 ownership.

The law says nothing about allowing the ATF to enter your house to 'inspect' the firearm whenever they feel like. You may have confused this with the fact that the ATF can inspect FFLs. However (IIRC because I'm not an FFL), even that has to be during business hours, not at 4am. As far as taking it to other states, there's a form you need to fill out and have the ATF approve before you take your item to another state. Supposedly it's fairly quick and painless compared to the transfer form.

The Rock
August 10, 2002, 11:07 AM
CleverNick has it right.

No ATF visits.


August 11, 2002, 11:25 AM
Ghost, alot of people have told me the same thing. Kinda discouraged me a bit. I guess I should talk to a class 3 dealer and get all the facts straight. Thanks for the thread!

August 11, 2002, 04:42 PM
I guess the question I was really going for was, what rights do you give up by getting the class III stamp (if any). Thanks for all the help.


August 11, 2002, 06:00 PM
"ATF may only compel you to show an agent upon request the registration paperwork, that is the Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever else might have been used to register the weapon. See 26 U.S.C. sec. 5841(e). They do not have any right to compel you to produce the weapon. As always the Fourth amendment applies, and ATF may not enter your home or other place of storage of the NFA weapon, nor seize the weapon, without a warrant, or without falling under an exception the Supreme Court has created to the operation of the Fourth amendment, or without your consent."