PDA

View Full Version : .300 Weatherby Magnum

CajunJedi
November 13, 1998, 01:20 AM
I hope this question does not sound dumb. Anyway here goes.......

I bought a .300 Weatherby Magnum rifle yesterday brand new for approx. $400. It is a Vangaurd by Weatherby. I would like to know if Weatherby has stopped manufacturing the Vangaurd model. I have seached all over the web for information, inclucing Weatherby's homepage, and can find nothing about the Vangaurd model.

What is the deal?? Is the Vangaurd model an old model or what?? I know the new models are called Mark V or something. Is the Vangaurd less quality or sometthing???

Any Information on Vangaurd rifles by Weatherby would be greatly apprectiated. Thanks in advance.

CajunJedi

ShadedDude
November 13, 1998, 02:25 AM
Just on a quick search I found a couple Weatherby Vanguards for sale...
anywhere from $450 - $695

I really dont know much about the gun itself thou.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

Art Eatman
November 14, 1998, 01:16 AM
According to my 1994 Gun Trader's Guide, the Vanguard was made in Japan from 1970 to 1984. They were pretty well made, but I believe did not have the fluted bolt with nine locking lugs and 60-degree throw. Don't remember; book doesn't say. It isn't "top of the line" but it's a plenty-good rifle, and you're in it at a right price.

What it does say is that the Vanguard came in .300 Winchester Magnum, not the .300 Weatherby Magnum--unless you got the Deluxe Model which DID come in .300 Weatherby...The Deluxe is about $100 mor valuable than the others.

The Mark V was the original main production rifle using Roy Weatherby's own design. Mine is a 1970 #2 profile, 26" barrel, (German made) in .30-06. The very first Weatherby rifles used a standard Mauser-type action--possibly the Mark 10 (?) Dunno...

Hope this helps; best regards.

John CS
August 29, 2005, 05:49 PM
Convinced me to go ahead and get the Custom Deluxe Mark V. The Vanguard came from Walmart and was sensational. I just had to have pretty wood. I haven't tested it yet. But the Vanguard was good for 1" groups at 100 yards for 3 shots.

arthurrh
August 29, 2005, 06:05 PM
Vanguard is current. There is information about various vanguard models all over the weatherby site at http://www.weatherby.com

A list of vanguard rifles is on the site at: http://www.weatherby.com/products/products.asp?prd=Rifles&prd_type=1&prd_sub_type=3

Quail Fat
August 30, 2005, 01:07 AM
Yer rifle is made in Japan by Howa. Excellent gun.

I just bought a Remington SPS in .300 RUM. It will make a good hog hunting gun. With a 150g bullet @ 3600 fps it should really do a number on a coyote.

308LAW
September 1, 2005, 03:41 PM
Vanguards can be very accurate and have a good trigger(adjustable) the only draw back I see to them is thier weight, they run heavy but most Weatherby's do.

Samuel_Hoggson
September 2, 2005, 06:15 PM
I'd say you did well. Good gun, lighter than a MK V.

Sam

jwhdfw
December 30, 2005, 09:45 PM
I have a fancy grade Vanguard in 7mm Rem. that was made sometime in the 80's. They were made by Howa in Japan, but these are nothing to sneeze at. I glass bedded my fancy myrtlewood stock (VERY Carefully), free floated the barrel, then hand tuned my load and found that with a 150gr. Nosler Ballistic tip and no wind, that gun will flat shoot a 3 round one hole group. You are describing the guns Wal-Mart is presently selling, and I am driving around to every Wal-Mart in my area to see the respective test targets to get me a Vanguard in 300 Wby Mag. Without hesitation the best rifle deal on the market right now. There were 2 Wal-Marts in my area that were closing them out for $299, but they sold out fast. Im a Vanguard fan for life, and Ill never part with my 1-hole 7mag (yes, there is a witness and the target somewhere in a box around here).