PDA

View Full Version : Scope Question

GmbH
October 31, 1998, 05:03 PM
I am iliterate in scopes. Could someone explain me the following 2 terms?
1. Point-to-Point
2. Point-to-Crosshair
It appears to me that 2xPtoP = PtoC

GmbH
October 31, 1998, 11:19 PM
Above question was initiated by the following data from Tasco's 30/30 Scope.

PtoP distance of the 30/30 scope is equal to 30-inches at 100-yards @4X.

POWERS.....PtoCrossHair.....PtoP
4X ..... 200-yds .....100-yds
8X ..... 400-yds .....200-yds

Could somebody interpret the above table for me? I understood the statement "PtoP distance of the 30/30..." but not the table.

Thanks.

Rob Pincus
October 31, 1998, 11:33 PM
Okay, sinceI can't stand to see a question go unguessed at, especially since you asked twice...I'll take a stab at it until someone who really knows shows up.

The distances that they are talking about is the distance covered at 100 yards or 200 yards, etc. This is supposed to help you estimate range through your scope. In other words if your scope is 30 inches point to point at 100 yards then if you look at a yard stick 100 yards away through you scope it should stick out a little past each point. SO, if you know that a human torso is aqbout 30 inches tall and you put your cross hairs on a peson, you can guess range based on the size of the person relative to the Point-to-point. If you can get a person kneecap to eyebrows in your scope, he is either a dwarf or further than 100 yards away.

Of course, Tasco would probably prefer that I use the width of a deer at the shoulder for that example, but you get the point.

Standard disclaimer: I make things up, until someone tells me I'm wrong and proves it http://www.thefiringline.com/ubb/smile.gif

GmbH
October 31, 1998, 11:46 PM
Thanks Rob.

I think the following table by Tasco is still very confusing.
POWERS.....PtoCrossHair.....PtoP
4X ..... 200-yds .....100-yds
8X ..... 400-yds .....200-yds

I realize that for 4X: the coverage of Point-to-Point in the scope interprets to 30-inches actual size at 100-yards. Since Point-to-CrossHair is only half the size of Point-to-Point, the area it covers interprets to 15-inches actual size at 100-yds. What's that 200-yds doing in that table?

Tasco, what you are doing is NOT math, nor accounting. You need good technical writers.

Should I get a Bushnell next time, or it's worse?

Rob Pincus
November 1, 1998, 12:16 AM
it is telling you to cross referrence the picture in the scope and the magnification to find the distance where that picture equals 30 inches: for example:

the distance from point to cross hairs is 30 inches at:
(when at 4X mag).........200yards
(when at 8X mag).........400yards

the right side of the chart is telling you the same thing for the point to point distance.

GmbH
November 1, 1998, 09:26 AM
Gotcha. Thanks Rob.

gdeal
December 5, 2005, 01:36 AM
What is the best low powered scope for the Ruger Mini 30? Leupold?